CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

bike dies/starving of fuel

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 04:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I average about 50oz/min. Which is double what the manual says for the minumum so I hope thats right, I did it 3 times with the same results. I made a makeshift stand to do the rest of the DAI tests. Will check back in after.

Old 04-13-2019, 04:30 PM

Speedo could be off but everything seemed to check out at about 15 mph not 18 mph.

I wonder if I could replicate my stall on the stand without a load...

Old 04-14-2019, 12:36 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As long as your bike is safe, as the back wheel will be spinning, but now I think you have to have a look at the carbs and maybe a good cleaning

Old 04-14-2019, 12:07 PM

are there 2 different jets? one for lower idles and one for WOTs? and maybe the second one is gummed up? Ive never worked on a fuel pumped carbed engine before so im not sure what the difference in these carbs are.

Old 04-14-2019, 09:54 PM

Now I have a new project... Ill make a new post if you think its needed. While digging around in all this mess I noticed my battery has been seeming lower and lower so I did a drain test and found I kid you not a 5 amp drain in my instrument cluster. The 5 amp draw is coming from the red wire in the starter solenoid which leads to the instrument cluster and the key switch, I disconnected the key switch and the draw remained, so that left the cluster and an unknown wire. (pictured below) I tried finding a new cluster on ebay and found nothing... I already took it apart and found no visible shorts. Have you ever heard of the cluster drawing this much? Im wondering if this is what caused my stator to die last year and is what has been giving my bike problems. thats what like 60 watts?

pictured below is the wiring diagram from the manual where is shows 4 wires in the starter solenoid but my bike has a 5th, small gauge maybe 16? I dont feel like tearing apart the harness to find out where it goes, do you know? its tied into the same line that I have my drain in, even though im certain the drain is coming from the cluster. its the tiny red wire right next to the thicker red wire.

Old 04-15-2019, 01:51 AM
Super Moderator

With a fully charged battery you could try pulling Fuses one at a time to narrow down where the drain could be, if you already have a test lamp and the draw is above 4amp then it should light up a test lamp on the affected circuit, also disconnect Stator then Rec/Reg to see if there is any drop

Last edited by CaBaRet; 04-15-2019 at 04:01 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-15-2019, 06:21 AM

No I meant do you know where that little red wire is going since its not on the wiring diagram it looks factory so I was hoping maybe another F4 owner would know.

My draw is coming from my instrument cluster, just didn't know if 5 amp was from a short or a bad circuit on the board.

Old 04-15-2019, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator

Right I can see the 2 Red wires going into the same connection , could be someone wired in an accessory as these connectors are all the same, you will have to trace it and see where it goes

Old 04-15-2019, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Here2Ride
No I meant do you know where that little red wire is going since its not on the wiring diagram it looks factory so I was hoping maybe another F4 owner would know.

My draw is coming from my instrument cluster, just didn't know if 5 amp was from a short or a bad circuit on the board.
Just another thought on the drain, might not be your cluster, if that other wire is causing the drain it would look like its the Clocks, maybe if you undid the battery take that connection out of the starter relay, split off that thinner wire ,re-connect the other , battery back on and see if you have the drain at the instrument panel, and if everything else works then there could be a dead end to that wire causing it, just a thought

Old 04-15-2019, 06:09 PM

Yeah, I have confirmed its the cluster for sure. So I had to order another one off ebay. What do you mean by "clocks" ?

Quick Reply: bike dies/starving of fuel