CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 600F4 (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f4-18/)
-   -   bike dies/starving of fuel (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f4-18/bike-dies-starving-fuel-158359/)

Here2Ride 10-26-2018 01:07 PM

bike dies/starving of fuel / parasitic drain in cluster

Ive had several issues with this bike since ive gotten it, thought it was all fixed and now this... the distance/time varies between 5 minutes and 10 minutes, I think it depends on how much I get on the throttle. Like I said in the title, it feels like its starved of fuel and will slowly die over a period of 5-10 seconds. After it dies I have to let it sit for roughly 60 seconds then start it back up with full choke then rinse repeat. Ive read on another post about the fuel pressure cut off contacts being bad and that will be my first stop or is this a sign of a failing fuel pump? what steps should I take here? Thanks

EDIT*** Scroll to post #25 for parasitic drain start.

hamlin6 10-26-2018 02:42 PM

The next time it happens try opening your fuel cap and see if that helps. Or you could just try running with the cap opn and see if it happens. If this fixes it, you have a pinched or cligged breather tube

Here2Ride 10-26-2018 07:20 PM

Thanks for the reply, thats the first thing I tried when it first started happening.

hamlin6 10-26-2018 07:45 PM

Good deal. then I would remove the fuel line at the input to tue fuel pump and check the flow. that should tell you a lot.

Gjorret 02-20-2019 03:59 AM

Had allmost the same issue. Changed my fuelfilter and havnt had it since. Thought it was pump or maybe battery because it was bad.
Fuelfilter was old, used and dirty.

Here2Ride 03-28-2019 10:29 PM

Sorry it took me so long to bring this up again.. but I didnt get a chance to get around to working on my bike last fall then winter hit. Now that things are starting to warm up a bit in Ohio I started messing with my bike again and replaced the fuel line to the pump including the inline filter and I am still having the same issue. Ive already checked power to the pump. it kicks on and runs fine when you start the bike and has a steady stream. there is no clog in the gas tank vent and no kinks in the intake line to the pump. so all that leaves is from what im guessing is the pump its self is intermittent possibly? (is that a possibility?) I read somewhere once about a contact switch on the pump itself that is supposed to kill the pump at a certain pressure that could be bad? or something in the carbs themselves are clogged but to me doesnt make sense but I can start the bike fine after sitting and open her up down a strip without holding back. So I dont know. is there something im missing in the fuel chain here? to recap from my OP last year if I just putts around low rpm i can drive all day but if i drive WOT give her hell then about a mile down the road she'll ask me "where is my fuel" and die.

CaBaRet 03-29-2019 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by Here2Ride (Post 1320126)
Sorry it took me so long to bring this up again.. but I didnt get a chance to get around to working on my bike last fall then winter hit. Now that things are starting to warm up a bit in Ohio I started messing with my bike again and replaced the fuel line to the pump including the inline filter and I am still having the same issue. Ive already checked power to the pump. it kicks on and runs fine when you start the bike and has a steady stream. there is no clog in the gas tank vent and no kinks in the intake line to the pump. so all that leaves is from what im guessing is the pump its self is intermittent possibly? (is that a possibility?) I read somewhere once about a contact switch on the pump itself that is supposed to kill the pump at a certain pressure that could be bad? or something in the carbs themselves are clogged but to me doesnt make sense but I can start the bike fine after sitting and open her up down a strip without holding back. So I dont know. is there something im missing in the fuel chain here? to recap from my OP last year if I just putts around low rpm i can drive all day but if i drive WOT give her hell then about a mile down the road she'll ask me "where is my fuel" and die.

Have a look at your DAI hoses, filters and Solenoid, could be starving the engine of air, seems to be coming up quite a lot lately

Here2Ride 03-30-2019 09:01 PM

So you think im having an air flow issue and not fuel? I actually do remember re-attaching a hose to the air box that was just hanging around after installing a new battery last year. I wonder if I can remember which one it was. Ill have to take another peak.

Here2Ride 04-10-2019 12:23 PM

Circled in red is what was the disconnected emissions line when I bought the bike, whether or not it was intentional or not I dont know, but I noticed it when I was installing the new stator so I reconnected it. Did my new problem start around that time because of it or just a coincidence? Not sure but I re-disconnected it and will find out next time I take the bike out. Im not sure what else to look at when you mention to "look at DAI (which im guessing is direct air intake?) and solenoid" Thanks
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/cbrforu...16bc7e8c4c.jpg

CaBaRet 04-10-2019 11:41 PM

Yes that hose should be connected, if a Cali bike, but you should be looking at the normal Air side and solenoid,changes the Air flow from 20mph ,tests for checking the solenoid and relays are in the manual page 5-36