CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

BIG problem with 99 cbr 600f4 - HELP !!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 05:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BIG problem with 99 cbr 600f4 - HELP !!

hey everybody...new guy here...got a 99 cbr 600f4 last year....27000 miles but really clean and well maintained....ride every weekend...not far...maybe 25 miles or so at a time...never had a problem until today...was down-shifting coming to a light and all of the sudden I get this backfire and now a VERY LOUD popping noise coming from front of engine !! like a super loud pop-corn maker!! WTF !!! ...right uner the handle bars...lost all power...feels like compression's gone...started to pull off and get the loud noise constantly...backfires when i pull the clutch...thankfully I was close to home so I babied it home at about 5 mph and shut it down...called a dealer and the service guy says it might be the exhaust header separating from the head ??!! but of course "I need to bring it in so they can look at it"...not convienient right now...anyone have any idea before I start to take the ferrings and everything off to investigate ? NEED HELP !!

Old 06-28-2008, 05:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: BIG problem with 99 cbr 600f4 - HELP !!

loose header is a possibility on the easy safe side. On the other end it could be the CCT went out n it jumped time. Take the lower fairings off n start it up n check to see if its the header loose.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:35 PM

thx playful...i'll be intoittomorrow...got kids = no time assuming it's the header and say it's cracked or whatever...am i better off buying new ? saw some used onebay for bout $60 ?? and are there any links you know of on how-tochange headers ?? and also i might as well change the cct too while i'm down there eh ? what's the best replacement cct ? manual ? honda oem ?? thx again !

Old 06-29-2008, 08:59 PM

Ya maybe that loss of back pressure caused it to run weird. And a manual is recommended the auto tends to wear out.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:40 AM

hey everybody...good news maybe ??

i got the lower and upper fairings off and the header looks good, no cracks, no loose bolts , etc.

so i started it up and the loud popping noise seems to becoming from the upper right hand side up under the front of the gas tank...i cant see exactly where it's from, but it feels like there's a small rubber hose connected to it becausethe hose jumps big time along with the noise.

I attached a picture of the right side and you can see the hose behind that wire harness with the white letters on it...it runs parallel front to back...and it has some letters on it if that means anything ?? (it says TA and has 2 small up-arrows on it).

Any ideas ?? I'm hoping maybe it's something relatively minor like the CCT ???

Any help / advise is greatly apprciated.

PS I also attached a pic of my baby...I need to get her fixed-up and back on the road !!

THANKS !

Old 06-30-2008, 09:46 AM

can't attach pic...says file too large !! dammit !!

well does anybody have any ideas without the pic ?? maybe you can e-mail me direct at mblack614@aol.com and i cans end the pic that way ??

hey everybody...good news maybe ?? i got the lower and upper fairings off and the header looks good, no cracks, no loose bolts , etc. so i started it up and the loud popping noise seems to becoming from the upper right hand side up under the front of the gas tank...i cant see exactly where it's from, but it feels like there's a small rubber hose connected to it becausethe hose jumps big time along with the noise. I attached a picture of the right side and you can see the hose behind that wire harness with the white letters on it...it runs parallel front to back...and it has some letters on it if that means anything ?? (it says TA and has 2 small up-arrows on it). Any ideas ?? I'm hoping maybe it's something relatively minor like the CCT ??? Any help / advise is greatly apprciated. PS I also attached a pic of my baby...I need to get her fixed-up and back on the road !! THANKS !

Old 06-30-2008, 11:54 AM

Well i just had the cct problem and its not a loud popping noise. its more like a heavy vibration. and you say that hose is jumping? lol

Old 06-30-2008, 12:09 PM

yeah...its freaky...loud POP...POP...POP...every other second...right under the front of the tank...wish I could tape it and play it for you guys...never heard anything like it....andi stillcant see exactly where it's coming from, but that smallrubber hose connected to it jumps around everytime there's a PO like there's pressure being put on it or something...WTF !!!!??? I guess I'll pull the tank tonight after work and see if I can see what that hose is hooked up to...does anyone have a pic ofa 99-00 cbr 600 f4 with the tank off ? Then I could see what the *uck it goes to !!! All is says on it is"TA" and it has 2 small up-arrows on it ??????? jesse maybe I can e-mail a picto you from my AOL ??

Old 06-30-2008, 05:46 PM

ya sure my email is iluvgandl2004@yahoo.com. ill be honest i dont know alot about these things but well see if i can maybe get some ideas for ya. I remember nauree talking about a vaccum line or maybe it was just an overflow line. send me the pix man and in the mean time hopefully some of these techs can help ya out.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:28 PM

Loud popping? If the timing had gotten of, you would probly be hearing loud noises out of either the carbs (backfire) or out of the exhaust (afterfire) both of which don't sound like your problem. I'm not sure of everyones famaliarity with their machines but could the rubber hose be the spark plug wire/coil assembly bouncing around because a spark plug has came loose either from being improperly tightened or by damaged threads? Just an idea, it kind of fits the description and would prob be the closest thing to the front of the tank that would make a loud bang and obviously would explain the lack of power/compression. Good luck to you.

Quick Reply: BIG problem with 99 cbr 600f4 - HELP !!