CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Bad misfire

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2021, 08:02 PM
Lin
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Bad misfire

ive been trying to figure this out for weeks but have had no luck. cylinder #1 has a very bad mis at idle and unplugging the coil has almost no affect on the idle, if you rev the bike at all it goes away but comes back when you let off. ive already tried cleaning the carbs and putting new spark plugs in but none of it mad a difference. i have no idea where to look next, any ideas?

Old 10-13-2021, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

Have you tried swapping the coils? How about the wires to the coils?

Old 10-14-2021, 12:28 AM
Lin

yes I've tried that. I think I have an idea on what might be happening, the carbs haven't been balanced in about 6 years so that's most likely the problem. I'm going to order some gauges and try to balance them. its going to be a good week or two till they get here though. if it work ill hop back on this thread and let ya know.

Old 10-14-2021, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

If you start the bike when it's cold, does it have a miss then? If so, check to see if the exhaust header for that cylinder is cooler than the others as they warm up. Naturally use caution, they do heat up really fast and could easily be burned. Using something along these lines makes it easier to do.

Old 10-25-2021, 06:31 PM
Lin

i have fixed the issue. i was correct about the carbs needing to be balanced, it now idles just fine. thanks too anyone that tried to help.

Old 01-27-2022, 02:57 PM
Lin

It has returned full force with electrical problem to back it up.
The first problem is the misfire is back and has gotten worse to the point that accelerating from a stop almost kills it, each cylinder has more than 140 psi and there all within 10psi of each other, the rough idle has been there since I got the bike, I've tried every thing like replacing the spark plugs, coils, balancing the Carbs, cleaning the Carbs multiple times, replacing the fuel filter and have gone over a few sensors that might cause this.
Now for the electrical issue.
The guages every now and again jump up then right back to where there meant to be, everything is plugged in and all the grounds look good so I have no idea what's wrong with it.
​​​I can't help but wonder if the two problems are related in some way.
if any of you have an idea of what might be happening please let me know.
and both problems happen regardless of temperature.

​​​​​​

Old 01-29-2022, 01:05 AM
Lin

well i have learned that an aftermarket exhaust can change a few things like what the air/fuel ratio should be,
i have new jets on the way and they should be here in 4-5 days.
im also going to gap the spark plugs (there not oem) and lash the valves.
i have checked for any vacuum leaks and didnt find any so no problems there.
put some paint on it but no clear coat so im going to have to repaint it sadly but ya live ya learn.
i will return when i get it put back together so wish me luck.

Old 01-29-2022, 07:27 AM
Welcome crew
Received 212 Likes on 191 Posts

Ugh, that sucks but props to you for sticking with it and chasing the issue down! There really isn't a much worse feeling than thinking you've fixed a serious issue, only to have it crop up again!

My recent similar story (short version) - Dash on my truck lit up. PANIC! Tried an easy fix after finding the code. Worked for about a month. Dash lit up again. Slightly less PANIC, but still... Tried a slightly more involved solution. Seems to have solved the problem!

(Long version) - I started a new job this year that had me changing from a 5 mile commute to a 35 miler, one way. I often ride one of my bikes when the weather is "tolerable" level, but from about mid-December to the end of February, it ain't happening. My 4 wheel transport is a Tacoma knocking on 200,000 miles, so I made sure she was ready to start piling on the miles during that time. About two months ago, I was about halfway home when my dash lights up with the Check Engine and TC lights. I immediately panic and pull over. Check the engine bay but everything seems normal, so I take it easy the rest of the way and pull the code when I get home. Code tells me it's an issue with a camshaft oil valve sensor. I immediately go to Worst Case Scenario and figure the truck will be out commission for awhile. After a bit of reading about the problem, I calm down and try a solution that worked for a few folks... change the oil and filter, which it was about due for anyway. So, I reset the computer, change the oil and filter, go for a drive and... no light! I'm a happy driver for the next month until... the same lights pop on again. Knowing that it's likely the same issue, I don't panic quite as much but still, knowing I now have to move on to more serious "solutions" isn't reassuring. Some more reading and I relax a little more as the truck is considered "driveable" but should be fixed asap. So, I order the part most likely to need replaced and pray it works because, if it doesn't, then someone besides me is going to be getting a lot of my money to deal with the actual camshaft. To make a long story slightly less long, part swapped relatively easily and, fingers crossed, no lights in the last 1,200 miles or so!

I've got a ton more stories like that if anyone is interested! lol

Old 01-29-2022, 01:16 PM
Lin

Well working on trucks takes ALOT more time than motorcycle, especially when it's fuel injected, I hope you've fixed the problem.
I actually just got done replacing the oil pump and head gaskets on a 6.0 power stroke (lifter bearing exploded) and let me tell ya, it is NOT something you want to do with the engine still in the truck.
I have also decided to hold off on lashing the valves as it takes ALOT more than I originally thought, the jets should be here the 2nd and when they get here I'm also going to fix a fuel leak on one of the T'sAfter that I'm going to go thru all the wiring and chase down the fan and gauge problem.
Again I really hope you've fixed that problem on your truck, I know how it feels to have something keep breaking down even after replacing half of the vehicle.

The following users liked this post:
Doc Samson (01-29-2022)
Old 01-31-2022, 08:08 PM
Lin

So turns out that when i replaced the ignition i messed up 1 wire so the fan issue has been resoled, as for the gauge problem, i have no idea whats wrong, im hoping that the fan was just shorting and causing the gauges to go haywire. i fixed the wiring for then fan and tested it, luckily it works but i wont know if it fixed the gauges till i get it running again. anyways thats all i have for now ill let you all know if somthing else happens.

The following users liked this post:
Doc Samson (02-01-2022)

Quick Reply: Bad misfire