CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Bad bearings?? Need new chain!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 08:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad bearings?? Need new chain!

ok, so i have a tad bit of a delema on my hands... i have a total of 500 miles in rides this weekend. i was going to replace my chain before these rides, but i had to wait till i got paid today. now noplace that i have called within like 80 miles has chains and sprockets in stock that i need. 1 place did have cheap chains, that would work with my bike if chopped, but i was looking for something similar to the rk quick acceleration kit. i tried ordering them on monday from a local shop, but they all required payments up front. my chain is practically gone. all out of adjustment, and starting to get loose still.

and also, on tuesday, after a bit of a rough ride, my front wheel bearing started making noise. probably from a harsh landing from a wheelie. guessing i probably cracked or broke a bearing. i know what a wheel bearing sounds like, and i also checked the brakes, so i know its the wheel bearings. i havent noticed any play yet, but only the noise gradually getting a bit louder. also something i wanted to replace before the weekend. BUT everyplace i called does not carry the bearings either!! everything i need is special order and needed to be paid for up front.. i got paid today, but everyone says that the parts would be available next tuesday at the earliest!

anyone have ANY ideas to get my bike back to safe condition for the weekend???

Last edited by jurgs2007; 05-24-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:40 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A slightly loose chain you can deal w/. However, if you're at full adjustment & the chain is far outside adj spec, you risk it jumping off a sprocket...& especially if the sprockets are worn as well. This is a very unsafe situation. You do not want a chain jumping off & locking up the rear end or impacting the back of your leg/heel.

As for the front wheel bearings... If their damaged, in simple - don't ride it til replacement.

What about Powersports Company there locally?
You could always order a chain/sprocket kit online from SprocketCenter, etc.
Also online, you can order the wheel bearings from BikeBandit, RonAyers, ServiceHonda, etc.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:14 PM

well, the chain isnt very loose right now. its slightly looser than i prefer, but then again i usually keep it slightly tighter than spec. its not like its rubbing on the rubber guide or anything yet. but it will in a matter of a couple rides since i believe its just a generic chain (same chain from when i bought the bike 3k miles ago). and tomorrow i will be trying to call around to more places to see if i can find bearings. i tried powersport company already, along with 10-15 other places.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:50 PM

i found a local shop that had a universal bearing that was identical to what i needed, so i replaced the one that was causing the problem, just to hold me over until my odered bearing kit comes on tuesday. managed to take the bike on a 230 mile ride today and had no problems. before leaving, i loosened the the chain all the way, and cleaned and inspected every link just to make sure it would hold up. there were a couple links that had a slight bit of resistance, but nothing horrible. and with an entire can of wd40 and a good scrubbing, followed by a good coat of actual chain lube, those couple links freed right up for me. so i felt all was safe for the ride.