CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

any one ever had just a little fuel in oil (crankcase)? what you do to fix it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 12:22 PM
MZ5
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I forgot to mention that my last UOA (only had 1125 miles on the oil) showed 2.15% fuel. Shortly after that UOA, I had compression and leak-down tests done on my bike (~18,000 miles at the time of the tests), and they showed engine compression to be as nearly perfectly even as one can get, and sealing extremely well. Carbs had also been cleaned before the UOA, and I normally commute fairly long distances on the freeway (~35 miles one-way). So, fuel in the oil is quite 'normal' for these bikes.

That's an interesting article. I'll have to read it more thoroughly at some point. Off-hand, it sounds like a lot of it is not particularly pertinent to our bikes, but mostly I was confused as to how the author cited AHRMA work showing higher power output but more frequent overhaul when crankcase air pressure is reduced, but later asserted that better crankcase breathing would allow _less_ frequent overhauls. I missed any actual data or evidence in between that would allow him to jump from the one to the other. Still, it bears reading more thoroughly.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:31 PM
MZ5

Originally Posted by cBrentb
oh, ok lol thats good to know. i let my bike warm up for at least ten to fifteen mins before i ride. also i ride at low rpms shifting maybe before i need to. also (another example of my riding) a lot of times when one of my riding buddies passes me or i just need to get out of someones way im in a high gear i only down shift one gear then hit the throttle and it takes longer for the bike to gain rpms.i guess whats happening is the fuel will build up in the carbs like what you said and a lot of unburnt fuel is going into crankcase. so, what you just said makes since. im gonna start doing warm ups for only two or three mins at the most and while riding, shift and ride at a higher rpm.i think this will cure my little bit fuel in the crankcase. i think im gonna hold off on doing the clean air mod for now.i'll keep the results posted after i do a new oil change. thanks
Personally, I would agree with reducing your warm-up times. As far as riding in a lower gear at higher rpm... I probably wouldn't. Your style will put more load on the engine than riding at a higher rpm but the same speed would. So, your style will actually reduce fuel in the oil just a bit vs. running higher rpm (but lower % of total load/available output). Ironic, isn't it?

Old 01-02-2012, 04:00 PM
Cool

yeah i noticed the article was pointing mainly towards really, really early model bikes. maybe even before engineers developed crank case breathers?? still interesting though.

the longer i own this cbr the better i get to know its pros and cons. especially good to know there isnt a real problem with the bike, going off what i have heard from mechanics and people on here. on the gas in oil issue, im being a little paranoid or over cautious. lol, now i know what some people mean when they say "shut up and just ride it, the bike will let you know when it has a major problem".

sounds like to me i have a "normal" amount of fuel in crankcase. for now im good on the fuel in crankcase issue, i have found my answer here and by talking to mechanics. i will keep an eye on the oil level and smell it every time before i ride. the only thing i can suggest to anyone who has the same concern is to do the same. or just have an analysis done on oil, compression test on cylinders, and check for sticking floats in carbs.

if i have any problems or updates concerning fuel in the crankcase on my f4 i will post it here.

thanks

Last edited by cBrentb; 01-02-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:16 PM

I had the same probl..i had like a gal of fuel in the crankcase. i changed out my spark plugs and it dident start after that so i must have flooded it took it to the shop cause i had no clue wtf was the probl.. he took the carbs off and changed the jet, floats ,and sinked them all back in changed the fluids ..im still havin probl..wit keeping the bike running seems to be wit the carbs ,ive been playin wit the idler **** seems to help a bit but will see ...Let me know what you find out it may help me too.. hope it all works out for you