CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

any one ever had just a little fuel in oil (crankcase)? what you do to fix it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any one ever had just a little fuel in oil (crankcase)? what you do to fix it?

fuel in oil/ crank case. anyone ever had this problem? what was the problem? how did you fix it? its not enough to change the oil level. its enough to smell though.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:52 AM

oh wait, lol, dont all respond at once!

Old 12-12-2011, 11:18 AM

LOL, afraid I'm no help but your response to your own post made me laugh.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:08 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Could be valve timing, poor rings,running way too rich, a number of things.
It should be looked at if you're sure that's where the smell is coming from - petrol is a poor lubricant.

15 posts and chirpy too

Old 12-13-2011, 04:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe your petcock is letting fuel to continue feeding the carbs, maybe your floats are messed up and letting fuel into the cylinder, and then it leaks thru to the crankcase.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:09 PM
Default me dont want no boom boom!

thanks for the replies it was really helpful, yeah I answered to my own post, lol. I had it looked at today at honda stealer ship. tech told me " if it were a brand new bike there should be no oil in crankcase. being that mine is not new it was normal for 99 f4 with 30,000 miles on it to have that amount of gas in oil most of it will escape out the crankcase vent system while running due to heat produced in the engine ...bla bla bla" or something along those lines, however " if i looked in my oil level check window and the level increased due to gas in the oil then it would be serious. or if it starting to blow out white smoke from exuast, that would be another indication that there is too much gas in oil and is very serious". its some thing to keep a really ,really close eye on though I know. me dont want my engine go boom!
- Show quoted text

Old 01-02-2012, 11:35 AM
Talking ok, did some research, now a qeustion for peeps on this site.

as the post started i thought maybe i had a problem with fuel in crankcase, ive been told by a couple mechanics that its a normal amount (not enough to break vescosity dwn) of fuel in oil. how ever, ive been reading and looking over my bike to understand the crankcase ventilation process. i ran across this article about crankcase breather technology. now that i understand the whole crankcase breather/ pair valve/ emissions/ smog control "system" i came to the conclusion that it is doing what its supossed to do.

how ever, i was thinking of doing the pair valve blocking plate mod and detatch crankcase breather from going into the air filter, just put a small air filter on the end of it and call it a day... the clean air mod to eliminate any crankcase fumes/ fuel mist/ oil/ or water from recirculating back into my crankcase.

i guess my main question is, will it help with keeping fuel out of my crankcase?

Old 01-02-2012, 11:48 AM
MZ5

Maybe a little, but I'm not sure I'd count on it reducing the fuel very much. The fuel gets there from blow-by (unless something's broken and you're dumping/leaking raw fuel straight out of the carbs into the engine when it's shut off). The crankcase ventilation system helps eliminate the fuel in the oil, but whether it vents it back into the combustion chamber or into the atmosphere shouldn't have too much impact on how much total fuel is suspended in your oil overall, IMO.

Do you idle your bike a lot, or run it at low rpm (like city streets, parking lots, etc)? If your F4 is like mine, it misfires quite a lot at idle and low rpm/low load conditions. Each misfire allows a noticeable amount of fuel into the oil, as the un-burned fuel washes down the cylinder walls. There's not a lot to be done, since that's how they run when they're running perfectly. They just want to be on a track running flat out!

As an aside, any and all fuel that gets into the oil does damage, so minimizing the amount of fuel in the oil is always a good thing.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:48 AM

http://www.britcycle.com/products/bu...er_Article.PDf this is the article i found kinda interesting about crankcase breather tech.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:12 PM

oh, ok lol thats good to know. i let my bike warm up for at least ten to fifteen mins before i ride. also i ride at low rpms shifting maybe before i need to. also (another example of my riding) a lot of times when one of my riding buddies passes me or i just need to get out of someones way im in a high gear i only down shift one gear then hit the throttle and it takes longer for the bike to gain rpms.i guess whats happening is the fuel will build up in the carbs like what you said and a lot of unburnt fuel is going into crankcase. so, what you just said makes since. im gonna start doing warm ups for only two or three mins at the most and while riding, shift and ride at a higher rpm.i think this will cure my little bit fuel in the crankcase. i think im gonna hold off on doing the clean air mod for now.i'll keep the results posted after i do a new oil change. thanks

Quick Reply: any one ever had just a little fuel in oil (crankcase)? what you do to fix it?