CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Advice on cleaning up my 600F4

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 12:01 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm impressed w/ your diligence. Nice to see someone tackle a project instead of talking about it for months on end.

Yeah, aircraft paint stripper doesn't mess around...gets the job done pretty fast!

Looking forward to seeing more. Hope it continues to go well.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks GotCBR, by the way, are you an AR-15/10 fan? I notice you got the little bolt-face logo going on.

EDIT to add: Seat rail and footpegs are done

Name:  securedownload.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  76.2 KB

Last edited by Wheres-Waldo; 07-18-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:05 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This should answer that question... Hoooooahhhhhh !!!!

You're subframe & pegs look great.

Seeing your rectifier there on your subframe, reminds me to tell you to read up on problems w/ the older version, as what our 1999-2000 models came w/. Yours may be fine but many of the old model rectifiers are prone to overheating...& ultimately failing. Honda superseded that model w/a newer finned design. In one of my old posts somewhere, I gave explanations w/ model numbers, etc. Hopefully, yours still has good life left in it. But, if you start experiencing any problems w/ your battery dying & not recharging, etc etc etc, ...there's a good chance it will be your rectifier going bad. Just a heads-up on that.

Wishing you continued successful progress...

Old 07-19-2010, 10:14 AM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ditto.. looks great. Thanks for sharin!

Old 07-19-2010, 07:40 PM

Thanks Gentlemen....

GotCBR, I'm an aromorer for the Marine Corps, and a big AR-10 fan at that....

I was back behind the wrench again this afternoon, trying to make more progress.
I found out that the socket to remove the Castle "Lock Nuts" that secure the swing arm and eninge in the frame runs a little more than $80.00.....for a damn socket!!!

Anyway...I moved on. Ive got all the fluids drained, the exhaust removed. I took off the radiator removed and the coolant resivior...Will be cleaning those 2 up in the next day. There is no way in hell I can get the paint off the radiator, so I'm guessing I should just clean it up the best I can and hit it with a coat of high temp engine paint. I should be able to clean the fan itself up pretty nice though. Advice on making the radioator not look like ****?

One last thing for now. Lets say a guy like myself is stripping his bike...
He wants to pull the engine, but he doesnt have a hoist or engine stand?
Whats the poor mans way of doing this?

Old 07-19-2010, 09:59 PM

This is a 1999 CBR600F4....Repsol REPLICA, but it has a Repsol Limeted Edition plate on the frame.....

https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f4-18/1999-repsol-replica-fake-87592/

Did Honda ever make a F4 Repsol in 1999?

Sure adds an authentic touch if it is a replica bike, but if Honda never made an F4 Repsol, where did he get this plaquard?

Old 07-27-2010, 06:37 PM

Just thought Ide post a little update on how things are going.

-My new fairing set came in and looks great (Repsol fairings).

-The bike is a rolling chassis now, with motor still in it. Hoping to make it to the Honda shop one day after work this week and get the castle nuts holding the swing-arm crossmember and engine block loosened up so I can take the bike down 100% for paint striping.

-Need to get the tank and wheels painted (finaly the paint came in the mail).

Old 07-28-2010, 08:56 AM

Hi liking your thread keep the updates coming.

Found this link that you might find interesting on how to remove castle nut
https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f4-18/homemade-swing-arm-lock-nut-wrench-90880/

cheers

Old 07-28-2010, 06:30 PM

Hey if you send that scratched clutch cover to me I'll powder coat it for ya, and whatever else you want. I can get it done for pretty cheap.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:29 PM

Hey Exodus191,
I actualy read that earlier today and it seemed pretty simple, but I dont have the tools to make that tool...
Im coming to realize that without a garage, one will wind up spending as much on tools to work on his bike as he will parts for his bike. Funny how that shlt works huh?
I took it to the Honda shop this afternoon and they broke the nuts loose for me all the way around the bike, and told me to come back when I want them torqued down.

Fiddy,
Thanks for the offer man, but I think Im gonna keep it raw and just clean it up. All the metal on here is loosing its paint and gonna stay bare. Maybe Ill paint the frame/engine/seat sub-frame hardware black, but Im not 100% sure on that yet.

I pulled the engine and rear swingarm today. I have the swingarm fully disassembled and ready to be cleaned up..... Ill post a picture when I get her looking new again!

Quick Reply: Advice on cleaning up my 600F4