CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

99 f4 stalls and stumbles when bike is hot

Old 06-01-2014, 06:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I no this is an old thread but honda are dealing with this issue for me.

Honda have tested and checked the entire cooling electrical and mechanical systems and found that my r/r is totally fine under all operating systems , coolant was fine. they did the carbs need a clean and set up but the problem lies with the coils packs , once hot they breakdown causing poor running and stalling and even loosing power to 2 cylinders making the bike run on 2 cylinders.

My bikes still at honda being repaired so i wont no if its cured it until i ride it again.

Old 07-19-2018, 12:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 CBR 600 F4 Stumbles

Hi all,

I realize that this is an old thread but was wondering if there has been luck with this issue since.

I have a 1999 CBR 600 F4 and I find this exact issue to happen to me. I replaced the R/R with the newer model from Honda and have replaced the stater with a more efficient model. My bike doesn't stumble immediately after the fan turns on but if I sit in traffic or get caught at a few lights it will begin to stumble. I have times where it shut off and I had to wait a bit to get it going again. I found after a re-jetted the carbs it seemed to run better but of course it began to stumble again.

My friends 2003 F4i doesn't have this problem so it makes me wonder if it has to do with the carbs. Or maybe it's wiring is just better overall. I live in a city and commute with this bike so it's very frustrating in the summer time to get to work.

Would replacing the R/R with the Yamaha model actually help the issue?

Old 07-24-2018, 06:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by achtung95
Hi all,

I realize that this is an old thread but was wondering if there has been luck with this issue since.

I have a 1999 CBR 600 F4 and I find this exact issue to happen to me. I replaced the R/R with the newer model from Honda and have replaced the stater with a more efficient model. My bike doesn't stumble immediately after the fan turns on but if I sit in traffic or get caught at a few lights it will begin to stumble. I have times where it shut off and I had to wait a bit to get it going again. I found after a re-jetted the carbs it seemed to run better but of course it began to stumble again.

My friends 2003 F4i doesn't have this problem so it makes me wonder if it has to do with the carbs. Or maybe it's wiring is just better overall. I live in a city and commute with this bike so it's very frustrating in the summer time to get to work.

Would replacing the R/R with the Yamaha model actually help the issue?
Hoping this thread revival is OK.

I have the same bike and same issue, although it has vastly improved since I upgraded the R/R to MOSFET - is this what you did? Mine is off a newer CBR600RR. Yamaha or not, they are all typically made by Shindengen. My bike doesn't cut out, fan on or off, it just hesitates from standstill when hot but its still completely rideable. With the headlight off (side light on) the issue goes away unless its a very very hot day, this leads it to being voltage related.

When I get a spare day I am going to test out the electrical system, the charging circuit voltage noticably drops when the headlight is switched on and I need to work out why - if I do I'll post it here.

I should also run some carb cleaner - won't do any harm.