CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 600F4 (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f4-18/)
-   -   99 F4 Shuts off while riding (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f4-18/99-f4-shuts-off-while-riding-106574/)

cbrrush 02-28-2010 08:55 PM

99 F4 Shuts off while riding

Hey guys so I have a 99 F4 been riding it all the time. Today I was going to work on the freeway and it started to bog then all of sudden shut off. Seemed almost like it had no fuel except I filled it up yesterday. I wasn't able to start it right away but when I put the choke on it started right up. On my way again it did the same thing another 4 times then decided to keep it in 3rd gear pinned the rest of the way which helped me get there.

So I'm thinking it might be a fuel line or something and isn't getting enough fuel or maybe a vacuum line. Want to try and see what all the possibilities might be if anyone can help that would be great. Thanks

gsxr1000nutcase 03-01-2010 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by cbrrush (Post 888295)
Hey guys so I have a 99 F4 been riding it all the time. Today I was going to work on the freeway and it started to bog then all of sudden shut off. Seemed almost like it had no fuel except I filled it up yesterday. I wasn't able to start it right away but when I put the choke on it started right up. On my way again it did the same thing another 4 times then decided to keep it in 3rd gear pinned the rest of the way which helped me get there.

So I'm thinking it might be a fuel line or something and isn't getting enough fuel or maybe a vacuum line. Want to try and see what all the possibilities might be if anyone can help that would be great. Thanks

Fuell pump might be going out, or clogged fuell filter, check the filter first:icon_urinal:

Drew51 03-01-2010 09:11 AM

A shot of Seafoam might help you until you can dig into it a little more. Otherwise sounds like carbs could maybe use a cleaning.

emefef 03-03-2010 03:03 PM

+1 on the filter/pump possibility

the carbs could still use cleaning, but if it's shutting off completely I'm thinking it's more likely a single point in the system.

jonld 03-03-2010 09:46 PM

Fuel pump or fuel pump relay. If it has been running great and then all of sudden act like no fuel, then gets fuel then no fuel. most likely pump or relay. Hot wire the pump and do the test outlined in the service manual. its like x# of liters of fuel per 7 seconds. I dont remember the exact calc but that will help determine where the prob lies. It could also be something in the electrical system but I would start there. the Fuel relay is actually quite common.

speeddemonx60 03-04-2010 11:51 PM

x60

agree 100% with those who stated to check the pump and relay. if it was a carb. it would not be all four at the same time.. you have a complete fuel loss. or bike would not die completely. it would run like chit. check pump, relay, and filter. best wishes christopher...