CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

99 F4 Help....

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 04:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 F4 Help....

Hi guys and girls,

Need some help here...my friends F4 would not start...would turn over but not crank. Another friend said it sounds like the spark plugs. So here we go tearing down the bike looking for where the plug goes and we have no idea...never said I was a bike mechanic. We take the air box off...which the air filter was nasty and so were the little filters underneath the main one...they were actually falling apart....here are my questions....

1. Where the heck do the spark plug(s) go?

2. What kind of filter are those small ones underneath the main air filter called?

3. What's a good place to buy these parts online?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

Old 09-01-2009, 05:09 PM

get the manual here. and it will answer you first 2 questions.
https://cbrforum.com/forum/showthrea...ghlight=manual
as for where to get parts. i would say buy what you can from you local dealer. dont have them do serive but buy what you can to keep them up. if your local dealer goes down, you will always have to pay 5.00 s&h on a 2.00 bolt. but there are thousands of online parts suppliers, they are all close to the same price.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:41 PM

If you're looking for OEM parts, try www.servicehonda.com
I've bought parts from them several times, from rearsets to clutch levers and various nuts and bolts. If you're buying small items like nuts and bolts, they give you an option to ship it in an envelope via U.S.P.S. and all do you do pay for the stamps, but if you buy bigger things they'll use UPS.
The prices are decent, and they always discount them after you add it into the cart, so it's always nice to see your total go down
Good luck with the bike!

Old 09-08-2009, 03:02 PM
Default Special tool needed??

Hi everyone.....so I found the spark plugs, bought new ones, have torn the bike all to crap or so it looks like anyway, and now I am wondering how in the hell do you get the things out?! Is there a special socket or extension you have to use? Cause everything I have is hitting the frame and can't even get a quarter of the way into the hole to get the plug out.....please help....having this bike apart and not running is driving me nuts eventhough I am learning a lot from all this. Thanks for all the help you have already offered.....it has definitely helped a lot!! Hope you can guide me a little more in the right direction. By the way why does a new air filter for this bike cost $35 bucks? That's insane.....

Old 09-08-2009, 04:43 PM

No,no special tools needed. Just a 5/8" socket i believe (preferably spark plug type with the rubber grommet in there to lift the plug out) and about a 3" extension or so. Whalla!! They are kind of a pain though. Don't reef on them on the way in either and don't cross thread them!

Old 09-14-2009, 01:23 PM

not to be a dick or anythin.. but are you SURE its the spark plugs? this happened to me a numerous amount of times where i thought the problem was something and replaced it and it ended up being something else..but then again it wont hurt to change the spark plugs n learn new things =]

Old 09-15-2009, 08:03 PM
Unhappy little progress on F4

Okay guys,

Although there isn't much change in my progress, I have managed to get the plugs out and new ones in....bike now is actually trying to crank but will only stay running for maybe 5 seconds and will cut off again. Anyone have any more suggestions...before the new plugs it would turn over but wouldn't crank....now it will turn over, crank, but stay running for a few seconds.....could a carb cleaning be in order? fuel pump issue? I am so freakin frustrated right now with this thing....keep in mind this bike was running okay about 2 wks ago....I even took it down the road and back and although it was a little hard to start at least it did....this bike had been setting for about a year with little attention....when I first got it, it had fuel stabilizer in it....I drained some out and put in fresh gas along with a little gas treatment.....that when it actually started......now it didn't get started for maybe a week and now I am into new plugs and nothing hardly at all......please help....

Old 09-16-2009, 02:10 AM

yeah get the carbs cleaned.. you can do it yourself but its a huge hassle.. then again it cost $280 to get them cleaned at a shop(which im gonna do pretty soon)