CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

2000 Honda CBR600 F4 not F4i

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 12:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so this morning I bypassed the fuel pump and she runs idles revves up and everything so now I'm gonna lean towards Mr fuel pump being bad.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Acespad3
Sounds to me like you would be well off making sure your choke and idle procedures are setup and then tackling the other things:

STEP ONE: Turn the choke on, prime the system by turning the grip 3 times, then start her up. If she doesn't stay running with out your help - then try turning your idle screw to the left to bring the rpms up. If messing with the idle screw doesn't help at all and she won't stay running, go to step 2. If you can get her to run, turn up the idle screw enough so when all warmed up and you let off the choke.. She doesn't die. Then you can turn the screw back to the right slowly until you're at about 1300-1500 rpms.

STEP 2: Since you ruled out the battery and you said she cranks - the R/R won't also be a factor. This is fuel related. Take off your tank after draining it and take a nice look inside, how's it look? Next, inspect your fuel lines down to your fuel filter. Your fuel filter will more than likely indicate if you need to clean your jets or not. My bet is your low jets need a good cleaning but we'll get there. Check the fuel filter for anything unusual like crap gas dirt stuff. If you haven't found anything in the tank, lines, or filter.. Go to step 3. If you did find rust or dirt in your tank + lines etc.. Clean it all up and go to step 3.

STEP 3: Clean your float bowls and jets.. Reassemble and refuel with fresh 87 gas. Fire her up!
First off acespade... thank you a million! simply following your advice about the choke and priming the fuel got her started for the first time in over a week making me a very proud and happy man! Now I'm certain it's an issue with the fuel system, I'll be following your advice tomorrow and pulling the tank off and doing all the cleaning, I even have a spare set of carbs should I need to replace the olds. I noticed some very light grey smoke (almost white) coming from underneath the bike as i revved it any clue what that might be from? While I couldn't exactly see where it was coming from it was definitely from a lower part of the bike on the left side, no smell accompanied the smoke.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by galequin
First off acespade... thank you a million! simply following your advice about the choke and priming the fuel got her started for the first time in over a week making me a very proud and happy man! Now I'm certain it's an issue with the fuel system, I'll be following your advice tomorrow and pulling the tank off and doing all the cleaning, I even have a spare set of carbs should I need to replace the olds. I noticed some very light grey smoke (almost white) coming from underneath the bike as i revved it any clue what that might be from? While I couldn't exactly see where it was coming from it was definitely from a lower part of the bike on the left side, no smell accompanied the smoke.
You said a pool of gas... Could the smoke be residual burn off from fuel that set on the engine?

Old 02-17-2012, 02:55 PM

Everything I write about I learned here as far as that pool of gas goes, I'm curious as to what may have caused that as well. If the smoke has no odor but isn't a bright white - hopefully as jeeptuff said, it's residual burnoff as carbon monoxide has no odor

Old 02-17-2012, 03:18 PM

pool of gas? lol I don't remember saying that, but being that it had no smell I'm inclined to think it may be burn off like you say... with the risk of sounding like a complete noob where is the idle screw? I want to adjust that before I start pulling her apart lol, and one more thing, is there a specific cleaning agent i should use or will a clean towel do the trick? Thank you all for your support, I can't tell you what a blessing this site is, and having people with knowledge and experience be able to help me through this.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:59 PM

The idle screw is right below your right knee.. It's a black plastic **** with a Phillips head inside. I'll post a picture as well since I don't have side fairings, it gives you a clear view of the idle screw.
Name:  668cc411.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  72.3 KB
The idle screw is to the right of that reservoir which is in between my seat and yellow tank in this picture
Name:  9491524b.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  44.9 KB
That little guy right there

Last edited by Acespad3; 02-17-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by bjones67402
And odd I did leave the fuel switch on last night and I come out this morning to a pool of gas on the floor.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:31 AM

I said the pool of gas galequin had something wrong with his and posted on mine lol you got mixed up there. It's probably like my banshee was and the needles get stuck and over fill the bowl and leak out the overflow tube.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:41 AM

Lots of F4's needing some TLC these days

Old 02-18-2012, 07:33 PM

Haha I couldn't agree more ace, she's great mechanically, I got into her carbs, she's really clean, and aside from that a major mechanical parts fuction just fine. Bike's running fine now, it turned out I just need to adjust the idle screw, guess it was too lose.
Now there's a delay in the throttle (input and response), it has no snap back and after the throttle is closed the rpm's stay at the level they were revved to. Throttle snaps back when bike's off, except when bars are to the far right, but when bike is running no snap back. I'm going to oil my cable, make a few adjustments and let you guys know how it turns out. More pics soon! I'm so glad she's running now thanks all

Quick Reply: 2000 Honda CBR600 F4 not F4i