CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

2000 CBR600F4 Taillight Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2022, 03:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 2000 CBR600F4 Taillight Wiring

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum, but hoping someone could help me out with an issue on a used 600f4.
I bought it completely messed up with plasti-dip all over the bike for REALLY cheap and the wiring job that was done is astonishingly bad, even though I do not know much about wiring, I knew it was awful. I was in the process of replacing the taillight lens (led with integrated turn signals) because there was a significant amount of overspray from the last terrible paintjob. The light and turn signals still worked so I purchased a lens and replaced only the lens and kept the internals. I tested it before putting the cowl back on to make sure everything worked, and it worked fine, but after unplugging then putting the rear cowl on somehow I messed it up.

It has blown a fuse no matter what combination of wires I plug in it either does not turn on or blows the 10 amp fuse for the dash lights and taillight.

As far as I can see there are...
Two yellow turn signal wires (coming from the taillight), one of which is a quick disconnect utilitech push in connector with the other leading into a lever nut with three slots for some reason
Three green wires (coming from the motorcycle wiring harness) all of which tested as ground on a multimeter
Two push in clip connectors (coming from the wiring harness) one which didn't lead to anything and the other plugging into the slot for the led conversion
and one more white connector which did not lead to anything.

I'm sorry if this is a lot to read, but I wanted to explain it in as much detail as possible. I have another aftermarket integrated taillight coming off ebay on the 18th but if anyone has any solutions I really appreciate it.

Photos of the original wiring would also be helpful in the instance where I just have to try and resplice myself.

Old 07-12-2022, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

@obrienb Hi and welcome to the forum. Do you have a the Shop Manual for your bike? If not, then google and search until you can come up with one. Being able to look at the wiring diagram is going to help immensely. Post back when you have one.

Where does this yellow wire go? It looks like it's attached to a ground wire. Also, think of those Wago 221 devices as a fancy wire nut. It just connects all the wires inserted into it together.

Last edited by IDoDirt; 07-12-2022 at 08:18 AM.
Old 07-12-2022, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by IDoDirt
@obrienb Hi and welcome to the forum. Do you have a the Shop Manual for your bike? If not, then google and search until you can come up with one. Being able to look at the wiring diagram is going to help immensely. Post back when you have one.
Hey IDoDirt,
I’ve been looking for one, do you know a database site where I could get one for free?

Old 07-12-2022, 08:41 AM

@obrienb

Where does this yellow wire go? It looks like it's attached to a ground wire. Also, think of those Wago 221 devices as a fancy wire nut. It just connects all the wires inserted into it together.

I believe the yellow wire leads to one of the integrated turn signals, And the green wire leads back into the harness, and yea I understand the lever nut but I’m just unsure of why it would be in a taillight wiring for a motorcycle. I’ve never seen one on vehicle wiring. Should I remove the ground from the lever nut?

Old 07-12-2022, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

That Wago 221 device is just something that a previous owner did, or had someone install when they modified the tail light. It's not factory at all. That's why having the wiring diagram is so important. All of the rear factory OEM tail lights, turn signals, and the license plate light would have a Green wire connected to it as ground. The question is, on that LED device, is the Yellow wire designated as ground? Unlikely, but no way to know without having the wiring diagram from the vendor.

Your bike is blowing fuses, which indicates that most likely something is shorted to ground. Certainly can't hurt to remove the yellow as a test to see if the fuse blows again.

Old 07-12-2022, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

@obrienb See if you can download from this location. Click the words below.

Old Link

Old 07-13-2022, 10:22 AM
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

I hope this might help, but I also purchased an integrated tail light and the quality seemed pretty cheap. When I plugged it in, it didn't blow fuses but it also didn't work. The connector that came with the wiring looks like a faux light bulb, and those contacts were not folded in the right directions. Might want to investigate that as well if the integrated tail light didn't work to begin with.

Old 07-13-2022, 10:37 AM

Hey Connella,
Thank you Ill check if this works when I get off work.
Mine has a connector that goes into the back of where the rear of the bulb would be, and that connector is wired to the board.
Are you talking about the thin silver connectors on the furthest rear insert?

Old 07-13-2022, 10:48 AM
Talking

@obrienb See if you can download from this location. Click the words below.

Old Link
Thank you for this!!! Been looking for a free one for so long!
Think I got it with this wiring diagram now

The following users liked this post:
IDoDirt (07-13-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 11:47 AM
Received 432 Likes on 391 Posts

Most likely shorted wire somewhere, or even incorrectly connected power-wire to ground.

Best to remove as much of that crappy wiring as possible and restore harness to 100% stock OEM condition. Remove all that tape and probably finger-twisted wires and put back original connectors
https://www.corsa-technic.com/catego...category_id=91

Then attach matching connectors to aftermarket lights so it's straight plug-n-play installation. Makes it very easy to go back to stock for troubleshooting

Last edited by dannoxyz; 07-16-2022 at 07:50 PM.

Quick Reply: 2000 CBR600F4 Taillight Wiring