CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 600F4 (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f4-18/)
-   -   2000 CBR600F4 help..... (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f4-18/2000-cbr600f4-help-134954/)

GAdawgs 02-28-2012 12:06 PM

2000 CBR600F4 help.....

This is obviously my first post but would appreciate some help. Im looking to buy a bike and havent had one in few years and my buddy told me about a 2000 CBR600F4 that guy at his work is selling. I can not find what it is actually worth. He is trying to get $3500 for it but would take $3200 and from everything that i have found that seems real high. The KBB retail says $2280 and trade in is $1525. Seen alot of them for sale but from around 2008 and they were going for $2800-$3500

Here is the bike info-

Year-2000
Model-CBR600F4
Milage-30,000+

-garage kept
-he laid it down and just repainted and fixed some road rash
-New fairings Repsol racing
-smoked windscreen
-carbon fiber levers(break, clutch) spike bolt kit
-red LED lights front to back
-LED tail light smoked
-new front and rear,sprockets, new chain(red)
-painted swing arm bed liner paint rubberized
-did all painting him self
What is a fair price for this bike? thanks

slowride 02-28-2012 06:56 PM

Well just keep in mind it is a 12 yr old bike with 30k on it. That is not much in the way of mileage but there are bike out there with less miles for less money.
I would not offer more then $2800 that is if it was in great shape body wise and mechanically sound.

GAdawgs 02-28-2012 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by slowride (Post 1136250)
Well just keep in mind it is a 12 yr old bike with 30k on it. That is not much in the way of mileage but there are bike out there with less miles for less money.
I would not offer more then $2800 that is if it was in great shape body wise and mechanically sound.

Those were my thoughts as well and want some guys that know little more about the bike to make sure i was not missing anything. He laid it down not too long ago and fixed it him self. And was asking $1000 more than what KBB says the retail value is and just did not make much sense.

thanks

gotcbr 02-28-2012 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by GAdawgs (Post 1136118)

The KBB valuing of $2280 assumes excellent condition. To that, let's discuss...

The $3500 he's asking is *not* a fair price, neither is the 3200 he'll "take". Nothing described in that list warrants increased actual value.

The seller obviously has added what he sees as perceived value to the actual value. He more than likely sees his expenditures for repairs as upgrades. Simply put - they're not. He laid it down & had to repair it. So he replaced parts, not necessarily upgrading them. There is nothing in his list that really adds anything to the KBB value.

Items that do increase value (add to KBB) are things like; complete aftermarket exhaust systems, performance engine parts, wheels, suspension upgrades, etc. I don't see any of those things on that list.

A word about mileage... Mileage alone isn't the true indicator of the bike's mechanical condition. Rather, how it was ridden & maintained during that mileage accumulation is what matters. Two bikes may look the same but underneath, you can have a bike that's in excellent mechanical condition vs one that's been ridden hard & poorly maintained but cosmetically clean (there's a reason why sellers clean & detail a bike/vehicle b/f selling). While they both may look the same, they are not. This needs to be checked & inspected properly.

A complete maintenance history is always preferred but rarely provided. This is where a pre-purchase inspection really pays off...

When seriously considering the purchase of a bike, knowing what to look (& listen) for will come in very handy. If you don't know how to properly determine the actual mechanical condition, do yourself a favor & have the seller meet you at the Honda dealership for a pre-purchase inspection. You'll pay for it, about $85, but it will be peace of mind for knowing exactly what you're getting. The shop will let you know exactly what the bike needs & doesn't need. Point is, its better to make an informed decision vs just how one looks or based on just a mileage number.

Where does that leave us w/ your question? This bike may look nice. It may be in good cosmetic & mechanical condition. Regardless, its not *worth* anything above the KBB value based on what we see here.

There is one wild-card when it comes to purchasing motorcycles... Many areas of the country are sparse when it comes to a selection of bikes to purchase. As such, many sellers will boost prices. This doesn't mean they're actually worth more...just that they may cost more in a specific region. Nevertheless, they still aren't actually worth more. ;-)

Good luck. Welcome to the forum.

fiddy_nutz 02-28-2012 08:21 PM

I would have a hard time paying that much for that particular bike. Now if that was a low mileage never been wrecked I would think about $3,200-$3,500. I don't know if it's the area I'm from but I just picked up an 01 929rr all original with 5,200 for $2,900.00. Let him fish that around for 2-3 months with no offers then he'll see it's only gonna sell for around the $2,300 area.

ddavis17 02-28-2012 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by GAdawgs (Post 1136118)
This is obviously my first post but would appreciate some help. Im looking to buy a bike and havent had one in few years and my buddy told me about a 2000 CBR600F4 that guy at his work is selling. I can not find what it is actually worth. He is trying to get $3500 for it but would take $3200 and from everything that i have found that seems real high. The KBB retail says $2280 and trade in is $1525. Seen alot of them for sale but from around 2008 and they were going for $2800-$3500

Here is the bike info-

Year-2000
Model-CBR600F4
Milage-30,000+

-garage kept
-he laid it down and just repainted and fixed some road rash
-New fairings Repsol racing
-smoked windscreen
-carbon fiber levers(break, clutch) spike bolt kit
-red LED lights front to back
-LED tail light smoked
-new front and rear,sprockets, new chain(red)
-painted swing arm bed liner paint rubberized
-did all painting him self

I bought mine over a year ago for 3000 it have 20k never been laid down had a clean title and had aftermarket crap on it like exhaust and fender elim. It also came with a box of oem parts like a back up triple clamp brake and clutch levers, oem mirrors, and random bolts. Oh and some cheap crappy chinese fairings to use as backups. Overall i think i should have paid about 500 less at the time so I think that guy is getting over on you. My bike is modded right now and looks good but if i sell it i dont expect to get more than 3k because its a 12 year old carb'd bike. If i were you i would search craigslist or ask the guy to give you more bang for your buck lie throw in some goodies like a crap ton of gear.

GAdawgs 02-28-2012 08:46 PM

Now this is why i asked you folks!!! Ive been out of the bike market for awhile and my gut was saying it seemed a little high.

Very good advice boys. Keep the advice and thoughts coming:icon_beerchug:

bulldoglover 02-28-2012 10:37 PM

I just purchased (this week) a 2000 CBR600F4 with 13K for miles, never been layed down, clean title, garage kept, D&D exhaust, fender eliminator kit, and some other add ons for $2500.

tWoBRosHO 02-28-2012 10:52 PM

I have a 1999 cbr f4 (pics soon) it had 20k on the clock but the guy was a mechanic and was meticulous about maintenance. I am even more OCD about it and it has 30k miles still on same first clutch. The miles mean nothing unless it was abused. I have seen this bike with 85k on the clock and still same motor and tranny. Take care of your **** and it takes care of you. I purchased mine for 2300 2 years ago bone stock and dropped 1k in mods which im about to finish up and pics soon. I still would only sell mine for 2800 if im lucky and mine is pristine. I would offer him 2000 because laying it down and rattle can spray paint jobs are ****. Also it only has a few bolt ons which are not worth much. I would keep looking and actually meet the owner for a bit before buying a bike from them.

CJardine 02-28-2012 10:55 PM

I bought mine for $2.5k with 18k miles, as well there was a lot of rust on the frame, engine and rear shock. But they had records for the bikes maitenance and repairs dating all the way bake to when they bought it in 1999! plus they had been taking it to the same mechanic the entire time, I got to talk to him as well as take the bike to another mechanic who checked it out for $100 on their dime. They let my father test ride it and take the fairings off to inspect it. They let me run the vin, There were some things wrong with it seeing as they hadn't ridden it in 5 years because they had a kid. Needless to say if it were not for their records and openness about the condition of the bike (which runs amazing) i would not have paid $2.5k for it. I think you shouldn't go anywhere close to $2.8k.

By the way for all the rust and **** on the outside, after I got it home and started poking around on the inside I have yet to find a spec of rust on the inside. Although the secondary air filters have disintegrated :P