CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Yes, its another fuel question!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 07:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Yes, its another fuel question!

Ok, so the gas station down the road from me has 91 non oxygenated fuel(Yes, I did use the search and only "oxygenated fuel" came up). I've been looking at google for the last couple hours and haven't found a pros and cons to useing this fuel in my bike. The only thing I saw was people saying they got about 3-5 more mpg in there cars.

At the pump there is a sign that states non oxygenated fuel "only for off-road vehicles, boats, motorcycles, or antique cars".

So my question is since I have the option to use 91 non oxygenated fuel here in MN, should I use that over staight up 87?

Moses

Last edited by WiSH2oo0; 09-18-2010 at 07:56 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:22 PM

What's the price difference, and actual cost /gal

Old 09-20-2010, 08:26 PM
Default Re: Fuel Question

The only difference in the fuels is how much they are refined. The reason the sign says for off road use is because the process they use to make it does not require as much as it does for highway use( good ole EPA for you) It really shouldn't make any difference in using the 91 octane besides a few extra mpg and a few more impurities in the fuel. I'd say go with it save the money if you can.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:29 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All it means is that it's not "oxygenated" with ethanol.
If there was a station near my house that still sold the stuff....... yeah, I'd use it in the bike. Fuel economy will be better because it has more energy content.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:56 PM

All it means is that it's not "oxygenated" with ethanol.

If there was a station near my house that still sold the stuff....... yeah, I'd use it in the bike. Fuel economy will be better because it has more energy content.

I ended up putting a tank full in yesterday. I happened to run into the truck driver that was filling up the gas stations tanks. He told me that its "no ethanol fuel" he than added that when using it, it won't leave any varnish in my carbs like ethanol based fuel does. I'm not sure if this is true but it sounded good

So you would run it 24/7 then? Being I'm from MN my bike is a seasonal toy, so I don't mind the little extra cost for fuel if its a better choice to run.

Ty Guys
Moses

Old 09-20-2010, 11:25 PM
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Stick with Premium! Your bike will appreciate it, your wallet may not.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:49 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wish, yeah... I'd run it all the time if it were me. But.. it also depends on the price. If it's a lot more money, I'd have to think about it.
What the fuel guy said is kinda true and kinda not (the way I've always understood ethanol blends)

The main problems with ethanol (E10) gas is that it gives you less gas mileage (btu content is less), it can attract water vapor, and it evaporates quicker which leaves more residue/varnish behind.
However, it can also dissolve some varnishes with the alcohol it contains.
Does E10 suck vs. regular gas? IMO, sure it does.
However, I pretty much run whatever gas I can find, but if I'm gonna be storing my bikes for any amount of time at all I make sure to add a bit of seafoam (or stabil), and make sure that the tank is full of fuel. Since ethanol can draw in moisture, it can create condensate and rust your tank as well as leave some residue behind in your system. I also run about a bottle or two of seafoam through my bikes each year and my carbs/tank have seemed to stay very clean.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:53 PM

Alright, it looks like I'm gunna start runnin non oxygenated fuel when ever possible. Time to leave a bigger carbon foot print and pad the oil companies wallet

Moses

Old 09-21-2010, 06:57 PM

I dunno guys, I've got 3 bikes, when I use the "better" gas the bikes dont run as well... they run richer, rougher and other things... imo it's not worth it, our bike is made with thought of running cheap, that's how it should be done.

Old 09-25-2010, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
I also run about a bottle or two of seafoam through my bikes each year and my carbs/tank have seemed to stay very clean.
How much of that stuff do you put per full tank?? I tried the directed amount plus and ounce and didnt make to much of a difference, but not worse by any means.

i always run 93 octane unless its in the four wheeler, but i beat the crap out of that thing

Quick Reply: Yes, its another fuel question!