CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Won't start, need help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 01:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't start, need help!

Hey guys,

I have a 97' CBR600F3 w/ just a K&N air filter. My battery died on the freeway going at about 65mph and I brought the bike to a stop without pulling in the clutch. Changed the battery and couldn't get it started. Figured I may have fouled the plugs. Changed the plugs with OEM NGK's and still no luck. It won't start! Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

~Mark

Old 06-02-2005, 06:57 PM
Default RE: Won't start, need help!

The battery was on it's last life (few years old) and was charged enough just to get on the road. I know, I know, stupid, but I did it. One thing I didn't do when changing out the plugs was airing the cylinders out (may have been flooded), and checking for spark at each cyclinder before putting them back in. I'll do that tonight and see what happens.

Old 06-06-2005, 04:20 AM

check all your fuses..there is one hidden near the fuel pump too..

Old 06-07-2005, 09:50 AM

Bike still not running, but here's what I've tried so far:

Replaced battery, plugs, and fuel filter(was somewhat dirty). Checked all fuses and are ok. Check for spark and plugs and it's all good.

Here's the strange thing... Checked the fuel pump by releasing it from the rubber supports, dipped the inlet into a gas container and cranked the engine to see if the pump was spitting anything out. Nothing! The solenoid works because I can here it click on and off with key on and key off. No flow though. Has anyone tested the pump this way before? Should it be pumping fuel out quickly when cranking the engine?

Old 06-07-2005, 01:33 PM

Just spoke to 2 techs from 2 different Honda repair shops and they both said that to test the pump I would have to connect the pump directly to the battery 12V leads. Why can't you test it while it's hooked up normally to the bike? That's what i did. I left the pump electrically connect but disconnected the inlet and outlet tubes and dipped the inlet into a gas canister to test. Cranked the engine and nothing happened. The solenoid opened and closed though. I'm confused....

Old 06-08-2005, 10:16 AM

Well, I don't think it's the fuel pump. I connected the fuel pump directly to the battery to test if it works, and it does. It doesn't turn when connected to it's original electrical connection. I tried previously to just crank the engine with the pump electrically connected (not directly to battery, but where it's supposed to be) and with the inlet/outlet fuel lines disconnected and it didn't turn on...the solenoid clicked on and off with key on and key off but that's it. I know it works now from connection straight to the battery. Then again, I didn't have my plugs in and connected while doing this and don't know if this has anything to do with the pump not operating. Nor do I know if it will not operated normally with the inlet/outlet fuel lines disconnected. Does anybody know the operation of the pump and what needs to be hooked up, etc? I'll probably have to stop in to the repair shop and take a look at their repair manual. Tonight, I'll put the plugs back in and hook everything up and see if she starts. Aaarrggh!

Old 06-09-2005, 02:11 PM

Well, got it started last night but don't have an exact cause of the problem(s). But here are some scenarios:

Plugs were out for a couple of days and might have let the ports dry out from being 'wet'.

Fuel filter change may have helped.

Disconnected the fuel pump and blew it out.

Disconnected and tested the fuel cut-off switch.

Maybe an electrical connection was loose and I might have solved it by disconnected those items. Not sure what the problem was but she's running now. All I gotta do now is change the oil, filter, and coolant.

Thanks for the help!