CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Wont Start

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 05:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wont Start

I have been having problems with my bike since i bought it about a month ago. First my plugs were fouled, replaced them and it started up. Then when I was going down the highway right as I shifted into 6th it bogged down and died, I got it to restart once but after that it was dead. So I replaced the spark plugs, and removed the carbs and cleaned them as suggested. However, when removing the carbs i noticed that none of the jets were clogged and all the diaphrams were in mint condition. The only thing i noticed was that the pilot screws were all differnt from was was recommended two full turns up from all the way down, to on being only one turn up and the third being three turns up. I left them as is and reinstalled the carbs.

Now before i attempted to start it again i changed the fuel, and when I went to fire it up it just cranked, no backfiring no sound of any coming from the engine. I read another forum and saw this:

One more thing,before you hook the fuel line back to the T get a piece of fuel hose and hook it to your tank and straight to the T bypassing the fuel pump.Open your petcock for a few seconds and let it refill the float bowls.Then disconnect and proceed.This will keep you from running your battery down while waiting for the fuel pump to refill the floatbowls.

Could this be my problem as well? And what other things should I check in hopes of getting the beast started?

Thanks

Old 05-13-2006, 09:50 PM
Default RE: Wont Start

First you need to find out if its a fuel problem or ignition problem. Pull a plug out and see if it sparks or if the plug is wet. Like the statement said... sometimes it takes a while for the fuel pump to fill up your carbs with fuel. Also it is normal that your air/fuel screws are all different. Sounds like you could have an electrical problem.

Old 05-14-2006, 01:22 AM

Bryan although I dont believe this is the problem the pilot screw sync. doenst sound right.There is a huge difference between 1 turn and three.I would put them where the manual says.(where did you get the special tool to do this).You can always put them back.

When you had the carbs off did you change the float needles??????????????????????????

Old 05-14-2006, 02:48 AM

No I did not change the float needles.

Old 05-14-2006, 02:46 PM

Ok.I hate to keep preaching this and I hope everyone reads this.Things like this will make you want to go throw the bike in the deepest part of the lake.All the post about bikes will not start.90% of these are $10.00 worth of tiny little float needles.Do not keep chasing this and order them before it drives you crazy and you spend $200.00 on plugs.

I have bought two F3's from rather young people claiming that the engine had jumped time,would not crank,airbox caught on fire etc. etc..I paid 1k for one and 900.00 for another that swore their engines were ruined.The first of which they had caught the airbox on fire.I pulled the dipstick and all I could smell was gas.I said I'll take it.I drained about 8qts. of gas and oil out,replaced the float needles and plugs,put new oil in and it fired right up.10k on the bike.Same thing with the other one.

I wish I was close enough to come help all you guys with this aggravating problem,but I am not.So I'll try to help with a few tips.

The floats on the bikes are non-adj. which is good for us and eliminates having to set float height.When you have you carbs flipped over,take something magnetic and place at the end of the float retainer pin,it is the only direction the little silver bar can come out.This will pull it out enough to grab it and pull out.Then simply pick the float up and you will see that little needle hanging from it.This is what you want to replace on all four.This is not hard at all,just take your time.While you have the needle out,take a q-tip w/some carb cleaner on it and look down where then needle seats.Clean this brass pc. especially if you see any varnish or discoloration.Replace all the needles and your old floats.While your in there take out the small pilot or slow speed jet and clean it and make sure you see a small round hole when holding up to the light.If the hole is not round there is still something in there.You will need something very small to stick in there like the smallest guitar string.Then reassemble and put your carbs back on.

Now it doesnt matter if your plugs are brand new if you have tried to crank the bike before replacing the float needles.You will have to get new ones or bead blast the old.It is best to boil the old plugs after bead blasting to make sure there is no media left in there,but thats your call.If any of the brass colored coating is gone from the blasting you need to put a tiny bit of anti-sieze on the threads.

Another grief saver is to get yourself some sort of bottle you can hang to put fuel in and run the bike off of.I have a $4.99 overflow resevoir from autozone that has a vent on the top that I hang from an old I.V. stand.I have a long fuel line w/a cheap inline clear filter so I can see when the float bowls are filled.Once they are full the floats will raise the needles and they will accept no more fuel.Whatever you use it will have to have a vent on the top or you will have to leave the lid off.

You will run your battery down trying to refill the floatbowls with the pump.Always fill them manually before hooking everything back up.Also to run it off the bottle you obviously need to unplug the electrical connection to the fuel pump temporarly.Its a little two wire plug.Black and green I believe.

Ok running off the bottle and you can leave the airbox top off as well,go full ckoke on,no throttle and start it and let the choke do its thing till it idles up high and turn the choke off and let it idle and get some temp in it.Then rev it and if its ok put it all back together.Dont forget to hook your fuel pump elec. connection back up.

Remember these are what lets the fuel in.They can foul the plugs while not running or while going down the road or at anytime.They will just fill the cylinders w/too much fuel as well as getting into the crankcase contaminating your oil.Not Good......

Running off a bottle lets you look down at the butterflys(with the filter

Old 05-14-2006, 08:57 PM

Dude you are a god...I was just about to throw my bike in the deepest part of the lake....I got fire, and plenty of fuel, but bike still won't start...and looking at the carbs it seems I was getting to much fuel for the plugs to handle....must be the freaking float needles....

One question: My plugs are brand new....can i just sand off both the tip and gap of the plug ?? How do I bead blast them ?? Any alternative....don't want to pay 90 $ for plugs I just did !!

Thanks guys

Dominic

Old 05-14-2006, 11:22 PM

The float needles are what the service manual calls : Float Valves right ?

I am gonna change those suckers ASAP...

Old 05-16-2006, 04:53 AM

This is extremely helpful! I will be doing this as soon as Im off work for a day, thanks bunches!

Old 05-18-2006, 09:57 PM

when you pull a plug is it wet or dry? Theres a few tips I can give you just need a little more info

Old 05-18-2006, 10:04 PM

ps its not always the best to start changing things if your not sure there bad fire plus fuel =lift off

Quick Reply: Wont Start