CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Won't fire up

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 08:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't fire up

Bike has sat for a few weeks and although it turns over fine and attempts to fire up, it just won't start. Any ideas, plugs/leads?

Old 02-11-2014, 01:22 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

If you put it away and she was running fine, and it had no other issues prior to this then I would suggest checking your battery readings first. I won`t mention the fuel or tap as I`m sure you`ve done that. Measure before starting and continue to read as you hit the start button. Just because its turning over does not mean there`s enough juice to actually fire her up. Once you know you have a good battery you can check plugs etc and move on. Your post doesnt give much away (which bike?) so people here probably would want more info to help you out. Best of luck mate

Old 02-11-2014, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 341 Likes on 280 Posts

Going to ask an obvious question, you didn't turn off the petcock did you?

Old 02-11-2014, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by wes 17
If you put it away and she was running fine, and it had no other issues prior to this then I would suggest checking your battery readings first. I won`t mention the fuel or tap as I`m sure you`ve done that. Measure before starting and continue to read as you hit the start button. Just because its turning over does not mean there`s enough juice to actually fire her up. Once you know you have a good battery you can check plugs etc and move on. Your post doesnt give much away (which bike?) so people here probably would want more info to help you out. Best of luck mate
it's an f3 cbr600, I thought this forum was only f3's?

She died on me at lights for about 30secs last time I was out, but started after two attempts.

Not much to say, 3wks of sitting and as above, turns and tries to start but won't. Cheers.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by hamlin6
Going to ask an obvious question, you didn't turn off the petcock did you?
Nope, it's on

Old 02-11-2014, 07:29 PM
Welcome Crew Technician
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wanted to wait for you to answer above before I started to think about it.

Have you done any electrical work to the bike or that you know of in its history?

Old 02-12-2014, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by PossibleF4I
Wanted to wait for you to answer above before I started to think about it.

Have you done any electrical work to the bike or that you know of in its history?
No, I know nothing about it, I only took it in part exchange to get rid of a zx12r I had (hated that thing!) I haven't touched it. It was starting fine 3 or so weeks ago.

It was down on power, but was picking up a tad the more I opened it up (guessing the carbs got a bit of self cleaning) and I have a blow in the header pipes, which are rotted quite badly.

One thing I noticed was it took an age to get up to full operating temp, but that could be cos I was used to the crazy hot engine in the Ninja?

Old 02-12-2014, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 341 Likes on 280 Posts

Another cheap, but manual thing to try, what does it do when you attempt to bump start it?

Old 02-13-2014, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by dec11
No, I know nothing about it, I only took it in part exchange to get rid of a zx12r I had (hated that thing!) I haven't touched it. It was starting fine 3 or so weeks ago.

It was down on power, but was picking up a tad the more I opened it up (guessing the carbs got a bit of self cleaning) and I have a blow in the header pipes, which are rotted quite badly.

One thing I noticed was it took an age to get up to full operating temp, but that could be cos I was used to the crazy hot engine in the Ninja?
in that case a bottle of redex in the tank and i have a set of stainless headers for sale based in the uk stainless and cheaper than you will find on ebay at the minute

the engine should take awhile to get hot that means the coolant is working correctly

Old 02-13-2014, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by hamlin6
Another cheap, but manual thing to try, what does it do when you attempt to bump start it?
Can't where I live mate, it's an extremely busy country feeder road into Dublin and I've no-one to help me push it, and if I ran it down myself and it didn't start I'd have a 60 degree gradient and 100yd driveway to push it up!

Quick Reply: Won't fire up