CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Windscreen: Standard VS Double Bubble

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 03:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windscreen: Standard VS Double Bubble

Hi all,

My 96 F3 is currently fitted with a stock standard windscreen. I'm 6ft and tend to get smashed in the chest by wind coming directly off the screen. I'm just after some feedback from anyone who has fitted a DB screen, does it make much of a difference?

Cheers

Old 08-30-2008, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts
Default RE: Windscreen: Standard VS Double Bubble

Yes, without a doubt. The ZG DoubleBubble windscreen moves the wind blast off your chest. I'm 6'3" and felt the same issue. Now the flow of air seems to split over the top of me and down the front of me. Much less head buffeting as well. When your in the tucked position, you get much better protection. It helps protect you from those Category 3 and Category 4 winds.

Old 08-30-2008, 12:27 PM

mebeing 5'9 noticed absolutlyno differance except that i think the dbl bbl are not as good looking..i bought one hoping for better blockage and its hardly a differance and mine didnt fit for crap, dont get the hong kong special off ebay

Old 08-30-2008, 04:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a lot more designs out there other than the double bubble type. You can get some that are very close in looks to the original (slightly taller) but with a curved lip on the edge which directs air flow up higher with the same results as the one your talking about.
http://www.proaccessories.com.au/pro...ra/spoiler.htm

Old 08-31-2008, 05:21 PM

im 6'2" and the double buble made a huuuuge differance, much less turbulence where your head is getting bounced around... i would definitly recomend

Old 09-01-2008, 04:40 AM

Thanks all, I have ordered the new screen today.

I'll post my thoughts after fitted and tested for anyone's future reference.

Cheers

Old 09-01-2008, 07:13 AM

Thought I'd start getting the bike ready for the new screen. Run into a problem straight up that anyone thats done this may know about.

You need to remove the two plastic panels that run down the inside of the screen. These are each held in by a single retainer screw.

This screw (phillips head) screws into a kind of metal threaded cylinder which is about 5-10mm or quarter inch in length.

The cylinder piece is mounted inside the upper fairing arm.

Now because of some sweet rusting action that has happened in the bikes lifetime, both screws were stuck in the cyclinder and the only way to get them out was to pull the whole cylinder piece out of the fairing. I was then able to seperate the cylinder pieceand screw with my screwdriver and some trusty pliers.

My options when refitting the brackets will be to just push the cylinder piece back in with the screw already in it (which kinda holds it ok) or maybe get some strong glue and try to reattach the cylinder piece to the fairing so the screw actually has a purpose.

Any feedback is appreciated otherwise I'll just have a crack at reattaching it.

Old 09-01-2008, 04:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah thats happened to me, you can get replacements for the those as the tangs are usually RS on the ones that come out (although because you turned them as they came means you enlarged the hole slightly) So originals may not fit tight. Other option is wot I did & used that stuff from Auto stores. Comes in a roll with two colours Brown/White, you mix equal parts of each & it hardens like a rock.
Use enough so that as you insert the retainer it will force the excess out, remove excess straight away & let it cure for a good hour or more.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:14 PM

ORIGINAL: pacemaker

Yeah thats happened to me, you can get replacements for the those as the tangs are usually RS on the ones that come out (although because you turned them as they came means you enlarged the hole slightly) So originals may not fit tight. Other option is wot I did & used that stuff from Auto stores. Comes in a roll with two colours Brown/White, you mix equal parts of each & it hardens like a rock.
Use enough so that as you insert the retainer it will force the excess out, remove excess straight away & let it cure for a good hour or more.
+1 go get a good 2 part epoxy and put them back in

Old 09-02-2008, 05:07 AM

There are four slits in the barrel, did you have any problems with the epoxy getting through these and into the thread?

Quick Reply: Windscreen: Standard VS Double Bubble