CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Whats wrong now?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 09:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Whats wrong now?

For anyone who has seen my previous threads about my 96 CBR600 F3 you already know I bought a lemon. I have spent more time staring at the bike in 150 pieces on my front porch waiting for parts then I have riding it. Probably about 20x more time actually.

Well I really havnt fixed anything wrong with this bike now that I think of it. Everything I do seems to work for about an hour... then something else go's wrong or whatever I fixed brakes again...

First was a few pin holes in a coolant line. Fixed
Then my water pump went. Replaced.
Then my thermostat. Replaced.
When I replaced the coolant line a thick yellowish sludge came out.
I was told that that is a sign of oil cooler gaskets being blown.
I ordered the new ones... cheapcycleparts.com sent me the wrong ones...
So I used The Right Stuff™. It worked for about 25 min then it gave out.
The bike started to overheat and so I pulled over. After letting it cool down for awhile I tried to start it... Nothing. Light comes on(dimmed) and so do the oil light, natural, and side stand light. But it wont even click when trying to start it. A friend came and jumped it to get it back home. I check the R/R and it was hot as hell.
When it overheats it boils over and sprays out of the radiator cap. Replaced.

The obvious is that I need to replace the R/R and check the battery.
The question is what is causing the overheating? If the oil cooler gaskets are bad and oil is leaking into the coolant will this cause it to overheat like it is?
Will a bad R/R cause it?
Any ideas will help. Thank you in advance guys

Old 06-17-2012, 04:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude. Get the correct oil cooler gaskets and fix the problem correctly. Yes if you didnt fix the issue your bike will overheat. Stop trying to just hurry up and fix it. take your time, get the correct parts, and fix the issues correctly. Ive done everything you listed there and now my bike is great. I only did it all one time, and while it did take a while, I wont have to fix it again for years to come.

R/R dont have anything to do with operating temps. If your reg/rec is going out or is bad, your battery will be dead the next couple times you go to start it. which is what sounds like has happened to you.

SO to summerize;
1: Get correct oil cooler O-Rings, install them correctly(use oil on them), then you've got to flush the hell out of you radiator and hoses, engine ect. Make sure that all the oil residue is gone, or your next batch of coolant will get contaminated and you will have to do it again...
2: Get a fully charged battery, start the bike , using a multimeter, check the voltage at your battery at idle, and then at 5000 RPM. At 5K, you should see high thirteen, fourteen volts DC. If you dont have 14 volts, your battery is not getting charged. Get a new reg/rec and retest.
3: at this point the bike will run and be ridable. more things may come up, but these are very durable machines that last forever.

Do you have the service manual? Everything ive talked about is in there in detail. Thats all i used to fix up mine.

Good luck, and do it right! The Right Stuff is a perfect example of doing it wrong.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah man unfortunately these f3s need a little more tlc than the newer RRs. but they still run just as good when taken care of.