CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Whats the best way to lift a bike to perform fork work?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 01:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Whats the best way to lift a bike to perform fork work?

Hey there,
I just finished changing my rear swing arm (damn, I should ve made pics) by putting the bike on two chairs. Now I need to lift my front so I could remove forks to do some work on them. I have a stand that is capable in lifting the bike under triple tree. But damn F3 has air intake blocking the place where the stand should go. Do you guys have any ideas or experience in lifting the front end in a safe way? I also used to tie the bike to my boxing stand, but dont feel like dissambling and moving that heavy stand again
Tnx

Old 09-14-2009, 02:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If u loosen the radiator, u can remove the ram duct. Its not necessary to remove the radiator or disconnect any hoses. I replaced the duct that way.

Old 09-14-2009, 04:28 PM

Ummmmm shouldn't this be in off-topic? How did you make it this far in life without knowing?

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-a-Fork

Old 09-14-2009, 05:34 PM

cut a large hole in your garage ceiling and use some rigging and a chainfall or some other type of pulley system

Ancient Chinese secret!

Old 09-14-2009, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyx
Ummmmm shouldn't this be in off-topic? How did you make it this far in life without knowing?

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-a-Fork

Well mister,
It should nt be off topice cause every make and model is different. CBR F3 in particular has I would say lousy design. You cant lift the bike by putting the stand under triple tree cause air intake is on the way. F2 for example does not have it as well as many other bikes where you just stick the stand under and be happy forevarrr.
Now to your question. Here is what I used to do. And this work required even more efforts. I actually removed the triple tree itself to fix bearings. How would you do that Mr Wisdom?????? Also I live in apartment building as you see and don't have the luxuriance of garage space and tools to mess around...

Old 09-14-2009, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by morbidphil0622
cut a large hole in your garage ceiling and use some rigging and a chainfall or some other type of pulley system

Ancient Chinese secret!
I wish I had a garage.....

Old 09-14-2009, 06:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Asked and answered. Loosen the radiator, pull out the ram duct and use the front stand under the triple t.

Or go to autozone / pepboys / sears and get the motorcycle jack they sell there. I use the jack but will be getting stands and just deal with removing the duct if I want to work on the forks (what, once / bike's lifetime?)

Old 09-14-2009, 10:18 PM

Looks like you made it work. Thats what counts. I hear you, I dont have a garage either and have to improvise sometimes. We cant all live at home & drive Daddylacs. I have a wife, kid & bills out the A##! Good Job Man!!

Old 09-15-2009, 06:33 AM

nice improvisation desperado. looks like everlast needs to look into the motorcycle market

Old 09-15-2009, 07:25 AM

Swingarm stand on the rear,jackstands under the engine cases

Quick Reply: Whats the best way to lift a bike to perform fork work?