CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

What gear ratios are guys using?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 07:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What gear ratios are guys using?

Right now I have a stock size front sprocket and +2 rear. I'm thinking about going up to +3 or +4 on the rear. What do you guys think about this setup? Going up from stock to the +2 I noticed a slight increase in acceleration and I really didn't notice a difference on the top end. I've hit 150mph (indicated) so I'm not really worried about losing some going up a few more teeth. I don't want the bike to be to twitchy in the twisties though. What do you guys think? Thanks alot!

Old 02-14-2009, 08:16 PM

More teeth on the rear sprocket = lower top end speed.

I doubt you will be running 140 mph all that often so a few more teeth in back won't be all that noticable and it will give you more pep for wheelies.

Unless the bike is your commute bike and your riding long runs of highway then I would not do it.

SIRR1

Old 02-14-2009, 08:42 PM

im riding -1 in the front and stock in the back, you could just keep the +2 in the back and try -1 up front

Old 02-14-2009, 08:49 PM

I have a 15/45 setup from the stock 15/43, so the same as you have now. I'm pleased with it as is, and without a speedo-healer to correct mileage, I won't be added a larger rear.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:53 PM

I run -1 in the front and +1 in the rear. I street and track it. Lost a little top end but who cares. It has better acceleration and is a nice all aroud for most tracks. At Jennings Florida track I could use 2 more in the rear but that track is better suited for 600's. Gas mileage was a negligable change.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:01 AM

I agree, an inexpensive way to add some punch is to install a -1 countershaft sprocket.

I don't think a -2 will work up front due to the chain rubbing on the front of the swingarm, so any additional gearing would have to be done on the rear sprocket.

I have had real good luck with the Vortex company for gearing on my Supermoto's and the F3 to date.

They set me up with a 520 set for the F3 and optimized the gearing for my riding style.

The people there return emails quickly and if they don't have it they will make it for you, so I have to give them a AAA rating. www.vortex.com

SIRR1

Old 02-15-2009, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by SIRR1
More teeth on the rear sprocket = lower top end speed.

I doubt you will be running 140 mph all that often so a few more teeth in back won't be all that noticable and it will give you more pep for wheelies.

Unless the bike is your commute bike and your riding long runs of highway then I would not do it.

SIRR1
Well I do commute 60 miles a day during the spring, summer, fall. I like to keep the revs up a little anyways on the freeway so I have some punch if needed.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by A4wheelin
Well I do commute 60 miles a day during the spring, summer, fall. I like to keep the revs up a little anyways on the freeway so I have some punch if needed.
When I bought my F3 last summer, the previous owner had it at 13/46 - Yikes! I can confirm that yes, the -2 (13 tooth) front sprocket does create rubbing issues. The swingarm protector is filthy and nearly worn off!

As far as commuting goes, I also commute 60 miles per day and the 13/46 really sucked on the highway. I was riding at about 70mph at 7.5K rpms in 6th gear! Not only does this mean I was buying gas every two days, but the bike ran slightly hot on the highway from running at constant high rpms.

I just bought a new 520 set that is 14/45. I have read that this will give a good combo of acceleration with a decent top end. But my idea of decent top-end is probably not the same as everyone else. I usually ride under 90mph, and love back road twisties as opposed to straight stretches of road.

Cheers!

Old 02-15-2009, 06:59 AM

I forgot to add that if you are looking for a quick pick-me-up in the F3, you might look into an ignition advance from FactoryPro (LINK). I have read great things about the +2 and +4 degree advances. Do some searching for the details.

Cheers!

Old 02-15-2009, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by omninate
I forgot to add that if you are looking for a quick pick-me-up in the F3, you might look into an ignition advance from FactoryPro (LINK). I have read great things about the +2 and +4 degree advances. Do some searching for the details.

Cheers!
Funny you mention that. It's on my list this year as well. I've heard good things about the ignition advance. I don't know much about them though, need to do some more research. I get some popping and backfiring from my D&D slip on and I wonder if the ignition advance will help that a little or if I have to get a jet kit to fix this issue.

Quick Reply: What gear ratios are guys using?