CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

What are filter id better stock or K&N

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 05:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What are filter id better stock or K&N

ORIGINAL: ffingers

there have been dyno runs done that debunk the myth that K&N give you more power...actually quite a few dynos say you lose hp....do a google search...or better yet...read here...

http://www.rc51.org/airfilt.htm
Good article it makes a lot of sence on newer bikes that use fuel injection, but the article also states several times that 10 years or older bikes could benefit from aftermarket air filters.

My F3 is a 95 and it's 13 years old so it falls into this articles range of benefitsfrom a aftermarket airfilter.

There is an argument for both pros and cons on aftermarket airfilters, todate I am on my 34th motorcycle and I have tried to replace theOEM filter with a K+N on most ofmy street bikes and ora aftermarket foam filteron my dirt bikes if I can't get a K+N.

I have not had a dirt related failure on any of my bikes using a K+N.

On manyof my dirt bike filters, Ihave hadan 1/2 inch of gunk caked on them from hard dusty races or rides and they kept working as installed,in the past I have had failures using foam and paper filters and it's always on the back of my mind when the bike starts to loose power.

I think the RC51 article makes a good point on air vortexes in the airbox on fuel injected bikesfrom to much air, I ran into that problem building a naked streetfighter.

I am alsospeaking from experience that these aftermarket filters do work well on everyday streetbikes that are not built to the max.

Lunernightwho started this post simple stated should I keep the filter or not,I replied thatthe K+Ncan save you several hundred dollars over the life of the bike by simply washing the filter. I also stated that I thought the K+N added something powerwise but not what they claimed.

SIRR1

Old 03-13-2008, 10:26 PM

I put a new BMC air filter on my bike and I felt a huge difference. I had paper. The only place I felt I lost power in and got a little hesitation at was 2k RPMs which doesn't really matter.

My set up on a 32K+ motor is BMC Air Filter, Factory Pro needles with softer springs(Stock jets), 93 octane, and a Full Vance&Hines exhaust system.

The bike still needs to be dynotuned and will probably be in roughly a month. But it runs great.

Which I talked to my Mechanic who said Paper will probably be better but he had a spare BMC filter for a F3 laying around and told me to give it a try to see if I liked it. I did so I kept it.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:52 PM

Any fave places to pick up a new oem air filter? I've got the K&N and a Vance Hines Slip on, with one heck of a lean surge even after shimming the needles once, ready to try the stock filter back on but I don't trust my local dealer.