CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

What are filter id better stock or K&N

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 09:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are filter id better stock or K&N

I could have swore that i have seen this on here before but i could not find it, so ill ask again. Today i put a new fule filter on and also while i was at the dealer i got a new air filter. Mind you i just bought the bike in dec, so after getting the tank off i took the air box apart and it had a K&N in there. So what should i do old K&N or new stock filter?? that is the problem. All that I have done to the nike since i got it was new NGK plugs and a D&D slip on. thanks

Old 03-10-2008, 10:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What are filter id better stock or K&N

K&N's can be cleaned.. thus, reused and will save money in the long run. Both of my bikes have K&Ns.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:01 PM

But what i need to know is the stock one better for my bike or the K&N? would i feel i diffence in the bike? thanks

Old 03-11-2008, 06:12 PM

I felt more power with the K&N over stock, and even more after re-working the jetting. Although from my experience, the bike is way more peaky with the K&N and stock jetting to the point of making the bike not very streetable. It really needs to be re-jetted if you run the K&N.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:43 PM

K+N vs OEM Stock filter.

First of all how much did the OEM filter cost ? $15-20 bucks.

With the K+N air filter you wash and oil the filter and reinstall it.

Saving you 20 bucks a year right from the get go, just tell the dealerwhere you purchased the filter your bike had the K+N,
they will understand.

Then, go to Autozone or Pepboys and buy 1 quart of red ATF Fluid and a plastic spray bottle.

Go home fill and up the spray bottle with the red ATF fluid.

Then simple take the K+N air filter and wash it in warm soapy water using Dawn dish soap, rinse it a few times and let itdry.

After the filter is dry, spray the filter with the Red ATF from your spray bottle.

Spray the top side of the filter untill it turns a very light pink, wipe off any excess and install.

K+N claims instant HP increase of 5-15 hp with the install of their air filter.

I don't think they give that much extra punch but they do add something but not what they claim.

I have been using K+N air filters for years now, bothof my Chevy ZR2's have K+N air filters,My 2003 Honda GL1800 Goldwing, 1995 HondaCBR600F3,1996 HondaXR400R Supermoto and my Honda Masters Lawn Mower all run K+N air filters.

If anything the K+N will save you money on air filters alone, so yes keep the K+N.

Or mail it to me and I will use it!

The first after market item I buy generally is a K+N to fit the OEM airbox on any new vechical I buy.

Bestof Luck!
SIRR1

Old 03-12-2008, 05:15 PM

I'll mail you mine.After all the dyno work I've done,paper works best in the carbed bikes.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:11 PM

So i thank you all for the input. since the bike had one from the start ill put it back in, seeing that i dont know what was done to the bike before i got it. so thanks again

Old 03-13-2008, 12:46 PM

ORIGINAL: kjohnson

I'll mail you mine.After all the dyno work I've done,paper works best in the carbed bikes.
I will paypal you for shipping let me know where to send the cash!

Not to many full blown street race bikes run a filter or Profesional Road Race bikes either.

They run a fine mesh brass screen to keep bugs and largertrash out of the motor.

So maybe the next trip to the dyno try and run it unrestricted and see what results you get.

Possibly the paper filter is holding back ponies.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:07 PM
Registered Users

there have been dyno runs done that debunk the myth that K&N give you more power...actually quite a few dynos say you lose hp....do a google search...or better yet...read here...

http://www.rc51.org/airfilt.htm

Old 03-13-2008, 05:03 PM

And you lose midrange,which our bikes don't have much of,compared to newer bikes.

Not to many full blown street race bikes run a filter or Profesional Road Race bikes either.

They run a fine mesh brass screen to keep bugs and larger trash out of the motor.

So maybe the next trip to the dyno try and run it unrestricted and see what results you get.

Possibly the paper filter is holding back ponies.
Not quite,amigo.Our bikes rely heavily on pressurized air delivery,and are designed to flow better with paper,especially when the motor is stock.Carbed SV650s are the same.Put in a K&N and you lose power.

Many pro road race bikes do run air filters.The guy who built my engine in my F3 is an AMA Superbike crew chief with KWS.I asked him about that,and a few other things (lol) .

Unrestricted? No way. I want my valves to stay intact.That makes the bike run too lean.

Paper ain't holding back any ponies from me.My F3 puts 105.73hp on the wheel ,using pump gas.

Quick Reply: What are filter id better stock or K&N