CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

uncommon problem...oil spilling

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 09:57 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: uncommon problem...oil spilling

I had a similar situation happen to me. When I discovered thatmy bikewas leaking oil, I was in an area what look to be a project. Now I haven't ever been toa projectbut it had the symptoms ofproject. You know, liquor and gun stores in every other building with an occasional crack headscouring here and there. Anyway... when I got to an area where I could look at the bike, I discovered that my pulse generator cap oil seal had failed. Took a while to trace the oil because the wind blew it all over the place under the fairing. Hopefully it's something as simple as what I had to deal with.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Absolutely it can flood....if you leave the petcock on and the floats stick and the overflow tubes are plugged it certainly can leak into the cylinders! Sure alot has to go wrong first but it can (and on my old cb750 it has!) happen!

Dennis

Old 10-10-2007, 11:57 AM

Did you get the fairings off yet? I'm curious to what you find.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:06 PM

So I had some time today and i took it apart...in some light rain lol my neighbors think im nuts. I replenished the oil and took off the lower right side fairings. I put a white towl down under and between the wheels so I could tell by any spots if oil was drippin out. she fired right up and sounded good. I looked all over and no oil was dripping out! I checked the dipstick and its full. I mean about a week ago the oil was pouring out enough to soak my rear tire and leave a thick trail when I pulled off the road and smoke a storm from hitting the exhaust. today when I wass messing with it i let it run for a good 15-20 minutes and was all on the throttle. Its still apart but covered so I will double check tomorrow. I mean I am not ignorant enough to think it fixed itself and go ridin on it. i dont know, i will keep posted
[align=left] [/align]

Old 10-10-2007, 09:17 PM

did ya check the tightness of the filter, as stated before? As check the drain plug for tightness. Maybe its time to change the drain plug gasket.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:08 PM

When you check your oil,make sure the bike is not on the sidestand or the centerstand.If you overfill,the oil will find a way out.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:36 PM

[align=left]yea the oil was just right before it came out, right around 4 quarts. I thought of guys putting 5 in for wheelies? anyways earlier I checked the filter and it seemed tight. I didnt check the drain plug or gasket but im not sure if the oil could have got where it did from there
[/align][align=left] [/align]

Old 10-10-2007, 11:13 PM

when you let it run did you let it get hot? Maybe its a 'hot leak'. Ride it around a little and check things out.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:01 AM

Very strange that a large amount of oil would be lost before and now not a drip...

Are you sure it was oil? It wasn't coolant?

Did you run it at all after the chick tipped it over?

This isn't right after an oil change is it?

Old 10-16-2007, 05:05 PM

ok fixed it.

I took the tank off and I saw oil on top of the air box. so i looked around and saw a breather tube. I was lost because oil should not be going though that. I called my friend who is an amazing bike mechanic and he said to check to see if the dipstic smelled like gas. sure enough it did! what was happening was when i left the petcock on, gas would seep through little enough so it would not go into the overflow. it would sneak down though the manifold and mix with the oil. when I rode it the day oil spilled all over, thats why it was fouled out and had no bottom end, because it was so full the crank was fighting to spin. thats why once i hit some high rpms it blew out wherever it could. oil change and 25 bucks worth of plugs later its running better then ever! 50 dollar mistake but glad thats all it cost and that i got confidence in my machine again, especially before the seasons up.
[align=left] [/align]

Quick Reply: uncommon problem...oil spilling