CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

uncommon problem...oil spilling

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 05:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default uncommon problem...oil spilling

Ok so I went to start my bike the other day and it was really flooded. I assumed it was because I left the petcock on. So I started it and let it idle and cleared it out enough to ride and something didnt seem right so i told my buddy to keep his phone on him. I went down the road and all of a sudden i felt my back wheel sliding around so i pulled off and my bike is leaking oil through the bottom of the fairings. it was on both side of my bike but it seemed like alot more was on the right and it got on my right shoe. I loaded the bike up and brought it back. Im almost positive the engine isnt cracked because it was still running fine and wasnt overheating. a girl did knock it over on the grass the weekend before (no external damage) so maybe it cracked an oil sending unit? tomorrow is the first day I have to work on it so i meed some ideas of what it might be or what to look for before I pull my fairings off and scratch them up. thanks dudes
[align=left] [/align]

Old 10-09-2007, 06:23 PM
Default RE: uncommon problem...oil spilling

You're welcome!

Old 10-09-2007, 07:57 PM

Why would leaving your petcock on flood the engine? I always leave the petcock on, on both my bikes

Old 10-09-2007, 08:19 PM

Hah, check to see if your oil filter fell/ is falling off. Mine came loose the other day and spilled onto the exhaust and I freaked out (smoke shooting up). Nope, just the ****ty supertech oil filter coming loose.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:25 PM

ORIGINAL: ta8218

Hah, check to see if your oil filter fell/ is falling off. Mine came loose the other day and spilled onto the exhaust and I freaked out (smoke shooting up). Nope, just the ****ty supertech oil filter coming loose.
+1

Old 10-09-2007, 08:28 PM

Always use OEM oil filters.EMGOs are a good temporary sub,but always always always use OEM.

Get that fairing off and get back to us.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:48 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

ORIGINAL: almega

Why would leaving your petcock on flood the engine? I always leave the petcock on, on both my bikes
it wont

Old 10-09-2007, 09:55 PM

I didnt think it would flood the engine either because of the floats but I just wanted to mention it because I thought it was wierd my bike was flooded out when I first started it....If it is the filter, because I do have an aftermarket one, I will be SOOOOOOOO happy.. I will post tomorrow evening and tell you guys whats up
[align=left] [/align]

Old 10-09-2007, 10:59 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

which side did she knock it over on? it could be possible you knocked loose the seal that the shift lever goes into. my brothers gsxr was leaking oil crazy and we thought it was his oil pan so we replaced that but it still leaked... then finally realized that the seal had gotten messed up and was leaking right behind the water pump down onto his fairings and ending up pooling around the oil plug so thats what lead us thinking it was the pan/plug.. good luck and let us know what you find

Old 10-10-2007, 08:30 AM

it was the right side of the bike if you are sitting on it. My original theory was it was an oil sending unit right above the clutch case.....but when I take everything off I will check the most simple things first
[align=left] [/align]

Quick Reply: uncommon problem...oil spilling