CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Trip meter busted.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 03:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trip meter busted.

I've got a 96 F3 and it runs great all around, absolutely nothing wrong with the bike aside from the trip meter. The odo is fine, ticks every mile just like it should. However, the trip is stuck at zero. The button to reset it stuck in after I pushed it to see if I could get it working, but it wasn't working before the button was stuck in anyway. Anyone else have a problem with this? I'm having to track my mileage by remembering where the odo was when fuelled up last.

I don't want to have to replace the whole panel... that thing is expensive.

Old 09-11-2006, 09:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Trip meter busted.

You can take the instrument shroud off without to much drama, which will let you see wots causing the prob. There is a rubber plug, just in front of the ignition (key) remove the plug to expose a recessed bolt. Remove the black panels inside the screen (2 black phillips head screws), which exposes the other two mounting bolts, left & right of the screen. just be aware there are locating collars on each bolt. Then (carefully) lift the shroud outta the way. Probably all it is will be a jammed button.
I've found that rubbing the socket spanner (wrench to you guys) with a magnet helps a treat with lifting recessed bolts out.

Old 09-12-2006, 09:54 PM

Thanks man, I'll give that a shot this weekend and let you know what happens.

Old 10-09-2006, 08:54 AM

Just for curiosity… How do you get the instruments out without taking of the top fairing, which means you have to take of the all the fairings.
I’m just asking cause one of the globes at the top of my instrument panel is blown and you can’t reach it from below.

Old 10-09-2006, 11:45 AM
Banned

Yep, mine's stuck at zero too.

Only I have other issues. After some night riding last night, I noticed my turn signal indicators don't light when my turn signals are. Going to first see if it's a fuse, then I guess replace the bulbs. Anyone have a history of the cluster lights burning out? Also, my left rear turn light is not working. I changed the bulb, nothing. No turn, no light. I'm going to hit it with a voltmeter to make sure it's getting juice, but I have a feeling it's related to the cluster problem.

I will try the cluster removal today though, thanks for asking about it.

Old 10-09-2006, 12:11 PM

Mine wasn't a stuck button and I never got it solved.. let me know what you discover.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:47 AM
Banned

Gonna pull it off in about an hour, I'll let you know.

Old 10-10-2006, 03:03 PM
Banned

Well, the actual trip meter pin is busted, as well as the spring inside of the cluster... I'm prolly gonna need a new cluster.

While I'm here, does everyone elses turn signal indicators on the cluster light up when turn signal is on? I thought I would take a look there while I was in there - there isn't even a bulb in the cluster. There isn't even any wires that should run to them if they were. It's like they were never installed. I've torn into enough new cars to know what a factory wrapped loom looks like, this is almost certainly still factory wrapped, never been touched.

Did they come out this way, or did someone just eliminate them and do a good job covering it up? It's a 96.

Old 10-11-2006, 11:34 AM

Mine is a '96 and the turn signal indicators do work as intended. My rear blinkers are out right now, and the indicators are flashing at 2x speed as intended. I wonder if you managed to get a defect? That's a tough one to swallow though, I'm sure the quality department at Honda would test the blinkers.

Did you take off the windscreen and front fairing to get the cluster out? I didn't and it was a pain in the ***. It felt like I was going to break something.

Old 10-11-2006, 01:25 PM
Banned

Well, I have a tendency to ake things apart and put them back together, I work on PC's so it's kind of in my nature and I took the bike down to the frame. Figured it was the best way to learn about it

I did have problems with the cluster even after the windscreen and fairings were removed. It didn't want to come out on it's own, and going back in was another PITA. I ended up loosening the clutch lever to get it out of the way - slid right in.

As far as the cluster and turn signal indicators go, yeah I looked it over good and there is nothing there. Believe me when I tell you, it looks like there never was. Like I said, I've torn into my fair share of new cars and I know what a factory wrapped loom looks like, the one on this bike looks just like that. The stranger part is that there aren't even any bulbs where there should be nor any connectors that aren't being utilized. It's like they were never installed. Weird.

I'm just gonna look for a new cluster. Good luck with yours.

P.S. I have no idea why the sig thing isn't working *sigh*

Quick Reply: Trip meter busted.