CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

transmission issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 09:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default transmission issue

Lately I have been experiencing some transmission problems. It seems to sometimes pop out of gear. Some difficulty shifting into higher gears. One time it slipped out of 5th, rpms went up, then it went back into gear. I really dont have any experience with transmissions. Ill probably end up taking it in to my local Honda dealer and have them check it out but if someone can give me a little insight in this it would be grand. Thanks. Ben
BTW 1995 F3 31800 miles

Last edited by kmanracing24; 05-25-2009 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

31,800 miles I think...

And it sounds like clutch slip! (engine revs but trans doesnt!)

Old 05-25-2009, 09:38 PM

What would i have to do to fix this? i know that the clutch is supposed to slip to a point but i doesnt seem normal to me because it hasn't happened before.
yes 31800 miles sry
Is it bad to ride it this way for a period of time before i get a chance to get it looked at?

Last edited by kmanracing24; 05-25-2009 at 09:57 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:58 AM

bump.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:43 AM

Download the service manual. If you're mechanically inclined it's not that bad of a job, however, depending on your shop, it might not be terribly expensive to have them do it.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:17 PM

i have downloaded the service manual already. I think I may take it to a local shop first to get an estimate. If its not expensive Ill let them do it cuz then they can look over other parts and replace ones that I may not have a clue that they are worn out. Well see. Thanks for the replies.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:35 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The doggs on your 5th gear could be wear away. The doggs are what catch and keep the transmission in gear. The shop will probably charge in the area of $1400 for the fix. Most of that is going to be from labor (removing engine, splitting cases, looking for problem, repairing problem, reassembling engine, and installing engine). Then you've got the cost of the parts on top of that and if it's a gear issue, they aren't cheap.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by marc0011
The doggs on your 5th gear could be wear away. The doggs are what catch and keep the transmission in gear. The shop will probably charge in the area of $1400 for the fix. Most of that is going to be from labor (removing engine, splitting cases, looking for problem, repairing problem, reassembling engine, and installing engine). Then you've got the cost of the parts on top of that and if it's a gear issue, they aren't cheap.
+1

And your now getting into the wrong time of the year for any Honda shop to do a non warranty engine tear down on older bike like the F3.

Honda service depts make big money on accessory installs and tire changes this time of year and it only gets worse as the summers rolls on so good luck on getting a shop to do this work now!

Clutch slippage fixes.

I would check the clutch cable and make sure it adjusted correctly.

Make sure you are not using automotive oil in the F3.

Replace the fiber clutch plates.

Shifting issues.

Coming out of gear under load is very rare on this bike so you might have some gear damage, but most likley you would see metal in the oil when it's changed unless your blind or you don't change the oil so your guess is as good as mine.

Check the shift linkage for slop and adjust the linkage up tight.

Make sure your not tapping the shifter with your foot when on the gas or your mistaking a fried clutch for this problem...?

Good Luck!

SIRR1

Old 05-27-2009, 10:39 PM

I have also noticed twice only, that when I come down through the gears, right when I go though neutral, clutch fully disengaged, it sounds like grinding gears. I don't know what that's about but thanks for the replies again.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:34 PM

Just for a test today, I didnt shift until about 7000 in each gear. During 3 gear, the tranny slipped out of gear, neutral light came on, I let off the gas, then shift back through, shifting at a lower rpm. This tells me, with my limited knowledge of these bikes (pretty good with cars) that it would be a slipping clutch. Correct me if Im wrong. Thanks

Quick Reply: transmission issue