CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Throttle kills my idle

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 12:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle kills my idle

My battery died and i lagged on getting a new one put in. 2 months and now i have problems with my throttle. If i use full choke i can maintain an idle at 2000 rpm but once i add throttle, it kills the idle. Any ideas?
I just ran sea foam through the carbs today and it made a lot of smoke but not of lot of good. Odd thing was that when i turn the gas **** to of the off position (and the reserve position), i could then rev the engine high but then it shortly dies.
C'mon motorcycle.. why won't you be good and run normally.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:10 AM

How far will the rpm's go up before it dies? Right after 2k or around 5k+?

Old 07-28-2009, 08:43 AM
daf

Could it be a vacuum problem in the gas tank? Not sure if the vents could have gotten clogged but maybe that's why you can rev it when it's in the off position... may be worth checking...

Old 07-28-2009, 09:23 AM

You're running very lean. Open your gas cap and see if that helps. Pull the fuel line off your pump and turn the petcock on to make sure fuel is running into the pump freely. Test the pump AND the relay.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by daf
Could it be a vacuum problem in the gas tank? Not sure if the vents could have gotten clogged but maybe that's why you can rev it when it's in the off position... may be worth checking...
Do you mean the vents when the air comes in through the front?

I can get it to rev high in the off position, about 7-8k and then it cuts out. I'll try running it with the gas cap off to see if its a vacuum problem and report back.

How do i know if the fuel pump is no good anymore? I can do basic work on my bike but not very experienced.

Thanks for all the help!

Old 07-29-2009, 02:03 PM

Is it possible i'm running too rich? When i give it throttle it cuts out, is it possible its too much gas running to the carbs?

Old 07-29-2009, 02:45 PM

If its running rich, opening the throttle would increase the airflow and thus even things out.

You really need to test that pump. Search the forum for help on that, there are a few different methods. You could disconnect the power wires from it, and run one from the battery straight to the pump, and the other to ground. it should turn on right away.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by gruntworker
My battery died and i lagged on getting a new one put in. 2 months and now i have problems with my throttle. If i use full choke i can maintain an idle at 2000 rpm but once i add throttle, it kills the idle. Any ideas?
I just ran sea foam through the carbs today and it made a lot of smoke but not of lot of good. Odd thing was that when i turn the gas **** to of the off position (and the reserve position), i could then rev the engine high but then it shortly dies.
C'mon motorcycle.. why won't you be good and run normally.
You let it sit for 2 months and probably without fuel stabilizer. Your carbs need cleaned. Sea foam does not clean carbs a tenth as well as you taking them apart. A jet is gunked up causing you to run lean. Choke gives it more fuel to help, throttle leans it more. Clean em up.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:04 PM

While I don't disagree that a carb cleaning would be beneficial, 2 months isn't much for modern gasline, with all the cleansers and stabilizers they put in it at the distilery to begin with. I was focusing on the fact that the bike works BETTER with the petcock OFF. What's your take on that?

Old 07-29-2009, 05:30 PM

Dunno, if there was a fuel issue it wouldn't run better with choke, choke would make it shut off even faster. Not sure why it runs better with the petcock off... might just seem that way? Is there something that would make the bike run better with the gas shut off? If so I am not aware...

2 months isn't long, but if you already have gunk in the carbs it may be enough. I have had problems after 2 months before I started using stabilizer.

Quick Reply: Throttle kills my idle