CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

those who removed fuel pump..

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 08:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default those who removed fuel pump..

so my fuel pump went a couple months ago, so i removed it and put a small hose from the tank right to the carbs and it works great..

i noticed though if i'm getting on it..say in 5th gear it will want to hesitate as if its starved for gas.. if i let off wait a sec..than i can get on it again..

it feels like it does when it hesitates and you have to switch to reserve when the gas is running out...

any of you guys experience this?

Old 06-14-2011, 10:55 AM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkm87
so my fuel pump went a couple months ago, so i removed it and put a small hose from the tank right to the carbs and it works great..

i noticed though if i'm getting on it..say in 5th gear it will want to hesitate as if its starved for gas.. if i let off wait a sec..than i can get on it again..

it feels like it does when it hesitates and you have to switch to reserve when the gas is running out...

like sputters?
mine doesnt, but I dont know if that would be due to a pump problem, as a direct line (with gas in the tank) provides enough psi to get the fuel to the carbs fine.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:06 PM

yea a sputter like no gas... i know the gas is flowing well.. i thought.. i'm pretty sure i wasn't on a hill when i tested..but i will check it out again.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:25 PM

Yes, I ran mine this way for a couple months. I found that when I got approximately below half of a tank I would experience this. Not enough head pressure in the tank to supply enough gas at high rpms.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:22 PM

i took the fuel pump off and by-pass the air solenoid on my f3 and have experienced the sputter that you are feeling also when i was in 5th gear high in the rpm's. once the tank gets below half full there gravity feed does not flow enough fuel to feed the motor..... thats my theory atleast. i dont rally around at top speed very much so i does not bother me. i feel no difference with no fuel pump for around town use

Old 06-14-2011, 02:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sharkm87

I have the exact same issue. The rpms just kinda hang there rather than increasing.

Whats the tops speed you can hit on your pumpless bike? On a full tank its really hard for me to get past 120...

Old 06-14-2011, 04:29 PM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hootie233
I have the exact same issue. The rpms just kinda hang there rather than increasing.

Whats the tops speed you can hit on your pumpless bike? On a full tank its really hard for me to get past 120...
it's interesting that you guys are having those problems,
I currently dont have the pump due to a failed relay, and my bike doesnt have the 5k hang problem, and can hit 140mph still just as easily as it did with the pump on.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It doesnt hang at 5k its more like 11-12k. Im also at 5280ft high so I dont think that helps.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:25 AM

ok i think you guys are right.. it dosen't seeem to happen with the tank compeltely full.. i drove to work full this morning and didn't have the issue.. yes with driving out city its perfectly fine.. its only when reallyhammering on it..

as far as top speed..idk.. i did get to 135mpg this morning and it was still climbing but my exit was coming up

Old 06-18-2011, 10:01 AM

I have a 98 with no fuel pump and a few other mods but I've had my bike at about 155 in 6th gear pinned

Quick Reply: those who removed fuel pump..