CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Temp prob?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 08:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temp prob?

My temp needle is barely making it to the bottom of the white square, could this be a sticking thermostat or a sensor of some sort??? It's still running fine. Cheers.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:38 PM

What's the temp outside? I rode yesterday in 55° for about 30 minutes and my needle barely moved above cold, riding in 80° it will reach temp but it seems the temperature of the weather has more to do with it than anything, will it reach normal just idling?

Old 03-13-2014, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by josiahafelix
What's the temp outside? I rode yesterday in 55° for about 30 minutes and my needle barely moved above cold, riding in 80° it will reach temp but it seems the temperature of the weather has more to do with it than anything, will it reach normal just idling?
It's only moving a few mm and not even getting into the white box after 15min tick over. I checked the thermo housing senso for corrosion and it's clean. Fans haven't come on either, which worries me. Daytime Temp is 13 degrees here at the moment.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:47 AM

this is a fun one but dont worry im here

check these in any order you see fit

liquid actually in rad
thermostat itself is opening and closing
follow thermostat wire along the bike to check for any grounding out that may be interrupting the signal
check connections to the rear of the clocks

the fans have a switch on the rad and the temp is taken from the thermostat area so fans can come on even if thermostat isnt working so could be paranoia, might want to go ride it for a little bit say 4 miles minimum then sit it on idle for 10 minutes i know my fan comes on after 4 miles of riding and 10 minutes of idle but the temp gauge only seems to go up in the last 2 minutes

Old 03-14-2014, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by jackojeff
this is a fun one but dont worry im here

check these in any order you see fit

liquid actually in rad
thermostat itself is opening and closing
follow thermostat wire along the bike to check for any grounding out that may be interrupting the signal
check connections to the rear of the clocks

the fans have a switch on the rad and the temp is taken from the thermostat area so fans can come on even if thermostat isnt working so could be paranoia, might want to go ride it for a little bit say 4 miles minimum then sit it on idle for 10 minutes i know my fan comes on after 4 miles of riding and 10 minutes of idle but the temp gauge only seems to go up in the last 2 minutes
Yeah mate, it's weird that the gauge would move at all if something is knackered, but def moves slightly off it's stop. Sensor connection in the stat is shiny and no corrosion, and water is up to filler in radiator.

Any chance an airlock could be the culprit? I'm guessing if I take the stat itself out that it'll be a replacement job?

oh, have left it ticking over for ages and no difference.

Cheers.

Last edited by dec11; 03-14-2014 at 07:21 AM.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:34 PM
Welcome Crew Technician
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not familiar with the F3. Are you saying its not getting hot, or its getting too hot?

It says you have coolant in the rad, but is it circulating? Feel the lines, are they hot? There could also be an air pocket in the cooling system....I am just speculating here based on what I read in the posts already. Hope your get it sorted.

-Poss

Old 03-14-2014, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 341 Likes on 280 Posts

I took Annie, (my 98 600 f3) out for a proper ride today Did a 100 mile round trip. It was in the upper 60's. While i was at highway speeds the temp guage barely moved up. But when i got in stop and go the temp needle climbed about half way but went back to the bottom once i start moving again.
Hope this helps.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:14 PM

Cheers lads. It's not overheating, I'd say from experience that the engine temp feels similar to any other bike I've had. It's def not to do with it reading cool while riding, the gauge needle doesn't change on tick over after a 20mile blast.

Good thinking Poss, never even twigged about feeling the hoses! I'll try that and also go through the coolant bleeding procedure. Thanks.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:55 PM

I'm assuming the thermostat is the same or similar to a cars, if one hose is hotter than the other after 10 minutes of idling I'd boil the thermostat to see if it's working

Old 03-15-2014, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by josiahafelix
I'm assuming the thermostat is the same or similar to a cars, if one hose is hotter than the other after 10 minutes of idling I'd boil the thermostat to see if it's working
only one hose going in mate, the housing is then bolted to the engine casing.

By boil, I assume you mean remove and clean?

Quick Reply: Temp prob?