CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 02:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension question

ok....i don't know whats wrong....but my rear suspension seems to be off a little...the back of the bike seems to be too low...it just started to feel like this....seems like it really dives into corners too...it never used to do this....ive played with the compression and rebound till im blue in the face....im starting to think its the preload adjustment.....maybe my spring or shock is bad i don't know....and is there anyway to change the preload without the little tool cuz i don't have that... i havent looked at it much and i don't have a manual so which way does it turn...all i know is that it doesn't budge when i try to move it by hand....need some help guys...thanks....oh and also what are you guys running for setting on your suspension?

Old 08-10-2006, 06:16 AM
Default RE: suspension question

anybody?.......help?

Old 08-10-2006, 07:49 AM

put the suspension back to the stock settings then experiment with diferent settings, evryone has different riding styles, & weights
so what one rider uses won't suit you.
As a rule of thumbyou can set your SAG, thats the amount of travel your bike squats when your sat on her, you'll need 2 other people to help you with this, it's not hard to do and will help you, with the initial suspension settings, once you have done this all you really need is the compression & Rebound damping setting up,
1.Put a tie clip or Zip strap around the fork leg, & push it down against the fork seal, Measure the distance between the fork seal & front wheel spindle. this is measurement 'A'

2. Sit on the bike as if your riding it with someone holding the bike upright, , ( the tie clip should have moved up the fork leg) get off the bike, measure the distance from the spindle to the clip, this is measurement 'B'

3. Your SAG is 'A' minus 'B' . Ideal SAG for the front is 25 ~ 30mm. if you've got too much, ie 32mm, turn the adjusters clockwise (in)
if you can't get the SAG right after turning the adjusters in you'll have to try new springs[sm=icon_rock.gif]

REAR SAG
1. Make sure the back wheel is off the ground, measure Vertically from the wheel spindle to a fixed point on the frame,
2.Do the measuremement as before 'A',
3. Again sit on the bike with someone holding it up, & get the other person to do the measuring again this is 'B'
4 The SAG is 'A' minus 'B'.........the Ideal range for the rear suspension is 20 ~ 25mm. so adjust the spring with a C wrench.
Again if you cant get anywhere near this the spring is shot, Don't forget some of these F2s &F3s are getting old now.
once you have go this setting you will notice how much quicker and stable the bike feels
hope this helps you all [sm=bounceybounce.gif]

Old 08-10-2006, 11:06 PM

ok....took the bike to the honda dealer and their mechanic said my rear suspension is totally trashed cuz the nitrogen apparently blew out of the resevoir and there is no way to recharge these units....he said a new one cost around 900 bucks because you have to buy the whole resevoir and shock assembly.....OR.....i could send my old one off to get rebuilt for around 200.....my question is....would it be wise to find a salvaged rear suspension...i noticed you can get for around 70 to 100 bucks off the net....my other question is...will the suspension from the 97-98 fit my 96 or is that a no go???.....and my front forks need rebuilt cuz the seal on the right one is leaking all over hell....thinking about doing the front forks myself...i already have the parts....just trying not the break the bank on this one....what do you guys think?

Old 08-11-2006, 12:51 PM

Why didnt you mention the fork seals leaking[sm=dontgetit.gif] I could have saved myself a s**t load of time not having to write about setting your SAG, and helped someone else instead

Old 08-11-2006, 01:42 PM

ORIGINAL: mikequinn

Why didnt you mention the fork seals leaking[sm=dontgetit.gif] I could have saved myself a s**t load of time not having to write about setting your SAG, and helped someone else instead
LOL true so true[>:], but don't worry you helped me cause I never thought of using tie clips to measure the A and B. That is much more accurate! Thanks!

Old 08-12-2006, 02:12 PM

ok fella let us know when you get your suspension sorted I'm always here to help if i can.

Old 08-15-2006, 04:52 AM

ok.....but will the 97-98 rear suspension fit my 96?????

Old 08-15-2006, 07:42 AM

It should fit OK, the F3 changed in 1998, the thing is it is dodgey buying 2nd hand front forks, you don't know how they have been treated, or weather they have been is a serious smash.
I would advise if you did go down that road and buy 2nd hand, still replace the fork seals & oil, or you could find yourself with leaking seals in 3 or 4 weeks, that might not be the case but it has happened loads of time to people i know who have fit 2nd hand forks
You should be ok with the back shock
make sure you check the pipe from the gas can hasnt been damaged

Old 08-15-2006, 09:39 PM

sweet.....good stuff.....i was just wondering about the rear....im not going to buy salvage forks.....ill just change the seals and oil in the ones i got...ive saw the posts on doing it yourself...doesn't seem to be too difficult so i think im gunna give it a whirl doing it myself...thanks mike!!!!!

Quick Reply: suspension question