CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Suspension Canister???

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 08:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Canister???

Whats that weird pop can sided canister just above my exhust, it lets me adjust to harder or softer, and also lets me put some sort of compressed air in it.

What is it, how much psi should it be at, and finally I see people get cool monster energy or redbull covers on them- do you buy that or is it just a pop can cut and fitted? lol

I just bought a 95 f3 last week, Im new to the bike and this forum, thanks for the help guys.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:37 AM

It's a remote reservoir for the rear shock absorber. Pressure is likely to be high and it may not be air, could be Nitrogen or something similar. Best not to mess with it unless you are really serious and want to buy all the kit. By all means put a sticker/decal on it though.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No dont mess with it. I just talked to the guys at Lindemen Engineering last week. They said the tire valve looking this is to put nitrogen in the shock. Like 250 psi, but it is a very tiny amount. You probly could not put that small of amount in it at home without messing something up. I asked about putting air in it and he said no. but the way I see it whats the big deal. The air we breathe is 80 % nitrogen anyway. I guess that extra 20% makes all the difference.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:18 AM

How about those monster energey pop can lookin covers, is that actually a pop can? or where do i buy one??

Old 11-01-2011, 10:24 PM

yes its just a can some guys put on there. I think it looks stupid but to each his own.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by coalminer frank
No dont mess with it. I just talked to the guys at Lindemen Engineering last week. They said the tire valve looking this is to put nitrogen in the shock. Like 250 psi, but it is a very tiny amount. You probly could not put that small of amount in it at home without messing something up. I asked about putting air in it and he said no. but the way I see it whats the big deal. The air we breathe is 80 % nitrogen anyway. I guess that extra 20% makes all the difference.
I think it's Nitrogen because Air has Oxygen in it which is a very active gas and will react with a lot of materials. E.g. air might degrade seals and membranes quicker. But I am guessing.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:30 AM

The Nitrogen gas is inert and non-reactive, Oxygen is very reactive. Also, the Nitrogen gas they use has been dried to remove any water vapor which is harmfull to the components over time. Don't mess with the cannister, leave that to someone who knows what they're doing.

Last edited by Incompatible; 11-02-2011 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:10 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 to Incompatible The can is NOT rebuildable by laymen/amatuers. Do NOT try to dissasemble one, that is considered a VERY BAD thing to do. Serious injury can result.
Always replace the entire thing as a unit.

Ern

Old 11-03-2011, 03:37 AM

how do I know if its low/needs to be refilled. How much does one cost and where?

Old 11-04-2011, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by fatluke_nofx
how do I know if its low/needs to be refilled. How much does one cost and where?
Hmm well if there is no damping i.e. it's bouncy it probably needs rebuilding or replacement. When you push down hard on the seat it should return without overshoot or oscillation. But it would be hard to tell if the issue was specifically just a loss of pressure. I would guess it would be an unusually large decrease in damping as the shock heated up.

A new shock is typically good for about 20,000 miles. After that they deteriorate and should be rebuilt but many people will run them way over that mileage and put up with the poorer handling.

Quick Reply: Suspension Canister???