CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 03:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension

Just adjusted my suspension, the guy that had the bike before me had it set-up quite soft, it didn't inspire me with confidence soI basically returned it to factory but put the spring pre-load to 4. I weigh about 185lbs and am 6 foot tall, the roads around me are reasonable but can be quite bumpy.
Do you guys think this would be a good set-up as the factory standard is quite hard.
When you guys take a pillion what setting do you put the rear spring load too?

Cheers

Mike

Old 07-24-2007, 06:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Suspension

I left mine at the factory settings for a while when I 1st got mine, but I went for a sligtly harder setting at the front (2) and a half turn on the damping.
When I carry a pillion, which isn't often, I leave the damping adjustment alone , but I turn the spring adjustment I notch harder. most of our (I think you call them 'B' roads?) back roads are a mix of good to downright crap. and I prefer the slightly firmer settings for feedback, as I've been caught out a few times on the ruts & ensuing suspension chatter ( which then translates to rear stepping out, & me over compensating "I going to drop it, no I'm ok, no, going to drop it" scenario). So for sake of severe sphincter pucker I go firm. which helps a lot, & I'm so used to it now. So when I ride my mates GSX1400 (he likes his settings "Plush") it feels really doughy in the turns, especially since they have the best engine braking from any bike I've ridden). Do a search on the site, cos I'm sure I've been directed to a site that has a good set up guide. Next best thing is to set it up factory, & tool around with the settings
http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_...sion_settings/
http://www.gostar-racing.com/informa...ion_set-up.htm
Hope these links work!!

Old 07-24-2007, 07:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so let me asked something....on my 95

the 'nut' adjuster on the fork is the preload. screwed down (less lines showing) is the firmest setting?
the screw adjuster on the fork is damping, screwed down(turned clockwise)is the firmest?
there is no compression adjustment on the stock forks?

and with the rear shock, the screw on the resevoir is compession...all the way in(turned clockwise)is the firmest?
the screw on the bottom of the shock, right by the link is the damper, thats labeled S --> F, easy enough.
and the preload is the ring thats adjusted with the spanner.

any of this wrong?

Old 07-24-2007, 09:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope, sounds right to me, the F3's don't have the compression damping adjustment. Wot I have done on other bikes to compensate for both the lack of comp & sometimes damping adjustment (which I used to fix with spacer washers on top of the springs), I replaced the fork all with a mid weight oil. this suited my preferences, some go with higher viscosity, some less. With F3, I've found the availible adjustment pretty good, & compared to some of my previous bikes, downright luxurious