CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Strange Request

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 09:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Request

OK...Here's the situation.

I am a former F3 600 owner until I sold out recently and went to the dark side. (https://cbrforum.com/m_37011/tm.htm) I know...I know... [sm=boosign.gif]

I ended up selling my F3 and bought the 2003 R6. Well, in my haste to get my new bike on the road, I cancelled my insurance on my old bike and transferred it over to the new bike, forgetting to tell the DMV that I sold it and did not turn in my old tags. However, what I didn't know, and just found out recently, is that in Maryland (and probably the other 49 states), if you have a registered vehicle without insurance you get fined. Well, here in MD, it's $150 for the first month and $7/day after that. Well, I cancelled my insurance back in October [sm=bangbang.gif] I don't even wanna tally up what that is gonna cost me.

What I am going to TRY to do is I plan on telling the DMV that I wreked the bike and the tags were never retrived. This actually did happen to a buddy of mine with his car and the DMV waived his fine(s). Just for added accountability, I wanted to be able to show them a pic of "my" totaled bike. So I guess what I am asking is, er...uh...um...does any one out there have a pic of a wrecked/totaled F3, preferably a red one?

I'm sure most of y'all are probably thinking "that's what you get for selling out you @#$%!!!!" but hopefully you could find it in your heart to help out a former fellow CBRer

Thanks buds!

Old 01-29-2006, 09:39 PM
Retired Mod
Default RE: Strange Request

i don't see why you are having a problem. the fine seems to be in effect for people that are operating vehicles without insurance. when you sold your f3 the title had to be turned over to the new owner. and then they registered it. so it is no longer regestered in your name. and as far as the plate, tell them you destroyed it. problem solved.

Old 01-29-2006, 11:48 PM

That's actually a good point. However, I'm not sure if he registered it or not (yet). I sold it to a salvage yard since it had a serious engine problem. Don't know if tehy fixed it or just parted it out. I guess I could try to get in touch with them and see what the outcome was before I tell the DMV the truth or at least call them and find out what happens in a case like this. I guess what freaked me out is that the DMV just sent me a letter telling me about the fines (3 friggin months later!)

Thanks for the insite.

Old 01-29-2006, 11:59 PM
Retired Mod

if you have a bill of sale from the transaction then i would just take it to the dmv and show them. then they should remove the charges. by the way, ive never heard of anything like this before. i have never called to let the dmv know when i sold or totalled a vehicle and ive never been charged or anything. like it said earlier, the dmv probably thinks that you are operating a vehicle without proper insurance. once you provide proof that the vehicle is no longer yours, the fines should go away.

Old 01-30-2006, 12:39 AM

I had the same problem when living in california. All I had to due is show proof that I sold the bike bill of sale worked for me. Good Luck.