CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Spark plug trick?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 11:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plug trick?????

Is there an easy way to change the spark plugs on a 98 f3??? I know to do the one on the right side and then do the other three from the other side because of that hump on the motor. Fo you guys use swivels, how many extensions??? I tried using a standard 5/8 plug socket and a 2 inch extension and that damn black box was in the way above it. There had to be a way to do this easier than removing the tank, airbox and then that duct work that was in the way. I already had the tank off earlier today and cleaned the k&n and put it back together. Just wondering if there is a trick?? Thanks

Old 06-01-2007, 03:06 AM
Default RE: Spark plug trick?????

I use a spark plug socket. than a 2 inch extention, and then an elbow joint and then another extention 2inch for the first two plugs and a 4 inch for the 3rd plug. I really don't know the proper name of these parts. but that is what I use.

It is a pain in the ***...so have fun.

Old 06-01-2007, 03:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, I reckon that when the Honda engineers get together for a drink, they probably all still get a laugh out of that one "Wait till they try to change the friggin spark plugs, hahahahahahahahaha........................"

Old 06-01-2007, 04:48 AM

ok... i use a 5/8 plug socket and then an elbo joint and then a three inch extension. you have to take the ratchet off every time you put it in the hole or get the plug out.. otherwise it will be too tall. goodluck buddy

Old 06-01-2007, 10:24 AM

h, I had to take the socket off the ratchet everytime i put it in the hole. it sucks, but i didnt have an elbow last night, so I hope that it will work tonight.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:49 AM
Registered Users

when i changed my plug's i took off the service door pulled each boot one at a time spray'd some compressed air down the tube clean out any dust or dirt in there, dropped the socket, then hooked up the extension, put the wrench on, loosend the plug, took the wrench off, pulled the extension up at an angle so i could get my finger on the socket, popped the extension off, pulled the plug and socket out....took about an hour pain in the ****, but it worked, i diddnt have a spark plug socket that may have helped things a bit

Old 06-01-2007, 05:41 PM

thats what I was doing last night untillI got to the inner two plugs. I didn't have an extension that was short onough or a swivel. It def. is a pain to do. Hopefully the plugs will solve my problem. wasn't the feul filter, fuel pump or the k&n air cleaner. Hopefully sparkplugs.

Old 06-01-2007, 07:16 PM

O yea having a magnet helps to pull out the spark plug after loosening them

Old 06-04-2007, 02:42 PM

You can also use a piece of rubber hose thats slightly smaller then the plug. Just push it over the plug and pull it out.

Old 08-26-2007, 01:05 PM

I use a spark plug socket with the rubber "grabber" inside it, a 3" extention and a long handled socket wrench with a twist handle(makes starting and backing out a breeze) Never had a clearance problem. You just have to put the tools in one at a time(socket-ext-wrench).

Quick Reply: Spark plug trick?????