CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Spark Plug broke in cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 02:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Plug broke in cylinder

Yestarday I started the process of rebuilding the carbs on my F3. After completing the rebuild I decided to remove the spark plugs to replace them with new ones. I recently purchased the bike so I never check the condition of the plugs. As I unscrewed the 1st spark plug I noticed that it was extremely loose. I removed the spark plug but the threaded portion appeared to have broken off the plug and stayed in the cylinder. All of the porcelan is intact.

Is there any easy way to get the threaded portion out or am I gonna have to remove the entire cylinder head from the engine block?? If so, can the cylinder head be removed without removing the engine block??

Old 09-05-2012, 05:18 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Is the metal part with the "nut" still attached and in the tube? If so, just unscrew it with the socket then use a magnet to pull it out.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:48 PM
Banned

If the threaded section stuck in the head is holllow you can try an EZ out of
appropriate size. If not you should probably remove head for ease and cleanliness
of plug removal. Once head is off punch out innards of plug and remove
with EZ Out.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:49 PM

Unfortunately 74demon, the nut is still attached to the plug

Here's a pic I just took of the plug to show what portion is still in the cylinder.

Name:  photo-3.jpg
Views: 1021
Size:  144.5 KB

Old 09-05-2012, 09:57 PM

it looks like the threaded portion of the of plug with ground strap is stuck on the threads in the cylinder head. working on fords for a living i have dealt with this sort of thing before (more times than i can count) and if i were you i would....

soak everything heavily in wd40/pb blaster/penetrating oil over night (use a appropriate sized vacuum plug to block the open center so that the oil can get to the threads and not just fall straight into the cylinder). leave it alone and come back to in the next day!!! clean out the bore with a rag and a bit of brake clean so you can get a good bite on the threaded piece and go in with an easy out. if an easy out is too long and contacts the ground strap on the spark plug... a multi spline extractor should do the trick (use electrical tape to hold the extractor onto a socket). whatever type of extractor you use, ****make sure that you are going in STRAIGHT with it and use STEADY FORCE on the rachet**** (dont try and break it loose because you will break the extractor off clean and have a whole new set of problems). a few small whacks with a hammer will also help to "seat" the extractor into the threaded section so that you get a good bite on it (do this first). if it comes out then bump the motor over to clear the cylinder of any pb blaster, brake clean or debris from the broken plug and put a new plug in with some anti seize..... if it dont come out, your pulling a head

also... go out and spend the money on a good extractor (snap on, matco, otc, ect..) because you get what you pay for and drilling out a sh*tty hardened extractor with a carbide bit really sucks

and finally, may the force be with you

Last edited by colorado_steve; 09-05-2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:57 PM

Well just to update everyone, I purchased an Easy Out set and was able to give it a shot today. Within a few seconds I was able to get the piece out!! This saved me sooo much time. I was dreading the thought of having to remove the head just to get it out.

Thanks again to everyone for the help. Hopefully everything goes by smoothly from this point on!