CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Sorting it out...

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 05:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sorting it out...

Hello,

Here's my story, I bought the bike Sunday from a good friend of a good friend, it hasn't ran in a year and was told needs the carbs cleaned, and new battery. Everything else is supposed to be perfect, I guess I'll find out.

Well, I took the gas tank off, drained all the fuel, syphoned whatever didn't want to drain or splash out. Put a pint of Seafoam (I know that's alot for 4.5 gallons but oh well. Opened the petcock and hit the starter button. It almost seemed like it wanted to start and actually ran for just under a second. After draining my other bikes battery I hooked it up directly to the truck battery. All I got was some almosts but mostly huge fire bombs from the exhaust. All with choke off, with choke on it was hopeless cranking it.

So overnight the bike kept on leaking gas which I didn't know about and melted the lower left fairing out of shape []. I thought well, I'll try to crank it tomorrow after sea foam sits in the carbs for awhile. Same thing today and I found the leak. It's coming from the fuel pump, most precisely the nipple at the end.

So, I know I have to dig in and take the carbs off and clean them, but what is supposed to be connected to the nipple. The breather hose from the gas tank since it's wet at the end also...

Here's some pics:

Name:  DSC01605.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  51.7 KB

Is all of this supposed to be wet?

I think I need a new drain hose... and is that breather tube what's supposed to be connected to the fuel pump? If not what should I connect to the fuel pump so it recirculates the gas....

Thanks, and time to tear off the air box and get at the carbs.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:11 PM
Default RE: Sorting it out...

Thanks for the info. It appears to be the same problem I am having....although it is hard for me to tell where exactly it is leaking from the Fuel Pump. I decided to just order a new one to see if that fixes the problem. I have decided to take the "narrow it down" approach. I'm not sure if the tube you are referring to is the one connected to the Black Plastic piece but to the best of my knowledge, that is just an overspill tube not connected to anything. Good luck.

Old 12-01-2007, 03:35 PM

also about those fire bombs. i had the same prob. when i replaced the spark plugs it started right back up.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:53 PM

After taking carbs off, taking them apart and cleaning every jet and passage, replacing the torn vacuum nipple caps under the intake ports on the head the bike started right up! I'm so impressed in how good it's running =) Tachs right up, no flat spots, purrs like a kitten at idle and like a cheetah once it's open up, has a K&N and a Micron Slip-on. Plugs will be coming up soon thought, but I need to fix/replace that leaking fuel pump first and bleed the cooling system. Thanks for the tip thought =)