CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Some F3 questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 02:16 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Some F3 questions

ORIGINAL: luciano136

Sorry if this is a dumb question but isn't an enduro a dirt bike? I think I'd like a sport bike better.
That's funny, I have both of what you're talking about! This is my little enduro/dirtbike...

Name:  HPIM1299.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  100.3 KB

It's a 400cc single-cylinder (lots of torque through 3rd gear, a bit of 4th) with an aftermarket camshaft. Now, it's not a sportbike by any means but if I recall correctly you're riding around on a scooter for the last year... ?

That bike of mine in the pic is street legal and will do every bit of 50mph with confidence. Above 55mph or so it's a bit sketchy, but that's not what the bike is for. It's a blast in city traffic and can go on any road you wanna take it down (though we may have to work on that coming from the scoot-scoot world... ), lol.

In any case, if you're determined that you need to ride the highway everyday (some people don't have a choice, don't know if you do), but if you're not dead set on it this bike makes the side streets your playground whereas on the CBR's they're more simply a PITA.

It's all in what you want but don't be fooled about the "enduros." Now yer gonna make me change my siggy, aren't ya!

Old 05-14-2008, 02:21 PM

Highway is indeed important; one of the main reasons the scooter isn't quite enough. I should be able to do 80mph without a single problem (speed in Cali is up there).

I would also like something that has some power in it. The Scooter is not my main vehicle; my 300hp two-seater car is .

Old 05-14-2008, 03:29 PM
Banned

Allgood brotha - F3's are great bikes. You've been on the damn streets long enough to have a head on yer shoulers so don't let anyone talk you out of an older 600. You seem to have a level head on your shoulder, you'll be fine.

Good luck and post some pics when you find one!

Old 05-14-2008, 04:30 PM

YEAH **** GET A 600 JUST BE SMART, not like my first bike RIDE RIDE RIDE SMASH>[:-]

Gets a pic of what you get.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:31 PM

definitely nothing WRONG with a 600 - but he's coming from a scooter. No offense to any scooter-riders, but that's not a bike. the power isn't even comparable.

the GS you said you like probably hits 60mph in less than 4.5 seconds and will top out comfortably over 100mph.

compare that acceleration to most cars (or scooters).

And the GS is air/oil cooled and 2 valves per cylinder - simpler technology with less to go wrong (which usually means people can neglect them a little more...)

Old 05-14-2008, 04:43 PM

ORIGINAL: rk97

definitely nothing WRONG with a 600 - but he's coming from a scooter. No offense to any scooter-riders, but that's not a bike. the power isn't even comparable.

the GS you said you like probably hits 60mph in less than 4.5 seconds and will top out comfortably over 100mph.

compare that acceleration to most cars (or scooters).

And the GS is air/oil cooled and 2 valves per cylinder - simpler technology with less to go wrong (which usually means people can neglect them a little more...)
I agree a scooter is not a bike. But it is at least a stepstone to the overall feel of a two-wheeler and it still weighs as much as a small motorcycle (375 pounds).

I'm getting more and more convinced to go the GS500 route though. Seems like the power would be comparable to my car, so that's cool!

Old 05-14-2008, 05:20 PM

Well from the sound of your taste of cars and the list of the ones you say you have let me ask you this. Why are you even first ridin a Scooter , And why are you askin use for advise when if you got that money and time could go get a NEW 08 WHATEVER BIKE?

Old 05-14-2008, 05:31 PM

ORIGINAL: SilverF3

Well from the sound of your taste of cars and the list of the ones you say you have let me ask you this. Why are you even first ridin a Scooter , And why are you askin use for advise when if you got that money and time could go get a NEW 08 WHATEVER BIKE?
To answer your questions :
* The scooter started out as an "in traffic" gas saver and I was sick of using my car just to drive to work;
* As you guys ride bikes, you can give me some valuable insights; I don't want to buy something really powerful and being scraped off a tree in a week;
* I just bought a house, so a new 08 bike is not in the budget

Old 05-14-2008, 10:29 PM
Banned

RK97, let's break it down even more...

It has almost NOTHING to do with the engine inthebike. Anyone can hop on one and ride it in a line and stop. It's the motion of turning, the concentration and knowledge sufficient to properly apply turn signals while changing lanes/looking for traffic/throttling on or off/braking/making eye contact with other motorists/watching ahead for lane changers/maintaining your place in someones mirror so you know they know you're there/dodging potholes...

All of these things together IN TRAFFIC with unpredictable drivers is the hard part.

Tell me how he hasn't accomplished that in ONE YEAR of riding (freeways included) in California?

So from my standpoint, the fact that HE CAN maintain on a freeway with traffic on a scooter says his odds are already greater than yours (assuming you started on a 6). Now, don't misconstrue what I'm saying, I'm simply saying he's paid his dues on public streets for a year... on two wheels no less.

Riding a bike is not difficult, in fact, we all pretty much learned the basics before school. this is one of those judgement things for me.

The poster has come in here and hasn't given me a single reason to doubt his ability to maintain a motorcycle on public streets. I sat back and watched how he responded, and he just soaked it all up. Even now his considering a GS500 (wouldn't be a bad choice either), that tells me he at least has a head on his shoulders and his chances of going down aren't anymore significant than ours.

He even strikes me as the type to have taken a class or two...

Old 05-14-2008, 11:25 PM

Thanks for the kind words. Riding a bike in traffic indeed requires a lot more attention than a car. I'd say, if you're an excellent driver, then maybe you could consider a bike (in my experience at least). If you're not the greatest car driver, forget it! I feel like you need to be twice as defensive on a bike. My fiancee actually inquired about riding the scooter as well. After seeing how she almost killed herself in the back alley, I realized that it actually takes a good amount of skill to succesfully ride a bike. Especially balance at low speeds and tight turns seems difficult in the very beginning. Now I don't even think about it anymore...

Whatever I decide, I'll keep you guys posted! All the info has helped me out a lot!!