CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Sigh...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 02:44 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sigh...

So I've decided to take advantage of the weather and tear my bike apart to fix the turn signal and brake light problem. I've been riding without both for about a month - which equals to about 4 full days in this weather... I know...

Anyway, I'm using this multimeter for testing continuity...

http://www.tylertool.com/cr34mudiwi8f.html

Problem is - I have no idea how to use it. Anyone? I'm trying right now to check the turn signal relay before going any further. I've got the manual and I have no idea to check what it's telling me to do.

Any guesses?

Here's what it says:

Check for turn signal circut connection before testing.

Connect the terminals as described below:

Black/Brown - DC 12 V Positive
Green - DC 12 V Negative
Grey - Turn signal wire of one side; connect other side to ground (frame)

Now, I'm an intelligent dudebut this is rubbish to me. The only wires on my signals are red, black and a black/white.

So... am I a freakin' moron or what?

Suggestions welcome and I'm trying to do it right now - bike is in living room and I got my laptop and WiFi so let 'er rip!

Old 02-15-2007, 02:59 PM
Default RE: Sigh...

u ever think about just getting a used wiring harness ? there not to expensive

Old 02-15-2007, 03:10 PM
Banned

Not an option right now and that might end up being overkill. I don't know how simple or complex the problem might be so replacing wiring harnesses is out of the question at this point.

Next!

Old 02-15-2007, 03:22 PM
Banned

Okay, I've removed the relay and when I activate the turn signals the same thing is happening when the realy was installed...

So I pretty much need a new relay, huh?

Before I would remove the relay, when I activated the turn signals, the left for example, both front and rear signals turned off. When I push the signal button back in they come back on but nowhere in between was a binky blinky. Then I removed it and it does the same thing...

Relay is shot??? I'm thinking the taillight could just be a bulb - gonna check that now.

I still wanna know how to use this tester to check stuff though - anyone?

Bueller?

Old 02-15-2007, 04:24 PM

do you have flushmounts? that could be why your turn signal wires are different.....

both front/rear turn off? only on the side the switch is on (2lights) or do all 4 of the turnsignals turn off?

Old 02-15-2007, 04:44 PM

regardless of the what type of signals you have to me it sounds like the relay is bad. I had a crash course through the AF for circuit troubleshooting. You may want to check the switch as well. Check to your wires inbetween as well for shorts. Hope this helps.

Old 02-15-2007, 04:57 PM
Banned

Think I got it...

Thanks James!

I've come to the conclusion the relay is bad as well. Anyone know where to find another right off hand (used)?

I've also, with no help from James, figured out how to use a volt meter...

Hahahah - j/k man. Thanks again, bro.

Old 02-15-2007, 05:04 PM

Well, I guess I can attempt to help you even at the risk of being called a ***** again.

ORIGINAL: KidCr3nshaw

Anyway, I'm using this multimeter for testing continuity...

http://www.tylertool.com/cr34mudiwi8f.html

Problem is - I have no idea how to use it. Anyone?
I don't know how much electrical engineering experience you have so I'm assuming you have none. Continuity, simply put, means a line in your circuit is clean.

Here is your multimeter:

The continuity setting on your meter is the dial position between the green 200 ohm setting and the blue 9V battery setting. put the dial there. Conventionally, the black probe for your meter goes in the COM input and the red probe, for continuity, will go in the V/<omega>/mA input.

When you connect two points together, the meter should beep (or something) to indicate that the connection between the two points is continuous.

I'm trying right now to check the turn signal relay before going any further. I've got the manual and I have no idea to check what it's telling me to do.

Any guesses?

Here's what it says:

Check for turn signal circut connection before testing.

Connect the terminals as described below:

Black/Brown - DC 12 V Positive
Connect the black/brown wire to one of the probes (doesn't matter which) and the other probe to the + post on your battery. There should be continuity here.

Green - DC 12 V Negative
Connect the green wire to one probe and the other probe to the - post on your battery. There should be continutiy here.

Grey - Turn signal wire of one side; connect other side to ground (frame)
Connect the grey wire to one probe and touch the frame with other probe (the frame is often used as a ground source). There should be continuity here.

If there is no continuity, then there is a break in your circuit somewhere (e.g. broken wire, blown fuse, etc). You have to fix that.

Some side notes:
- as already mentioned, your wire colors likely do not match because you have aftermarket turn signals
- I'm not sure which manual you are looking at because stock turn signal wires are blue (or orange), blue/white (or orange/white), and green for Honda bikes. Its been that way for years.

Now, I'm an intelligent dudebut this is rubbish to me. The only wires on my signals are red, black and a black/white.

So... am I a freakin' moron or what?
[Homer]
Urge to say smarta$$ remark rising.
[/Homer]

Old 02-15-2007, 05:14 PM
Banned

Easy ABad...

Haha - no, seriously, thanks man. I had some help from Thunder up^ there - think I got her sorted out. Just in case (and for practice) though, I'm gonna do what you described.

Thanks man.

Old 02-15-2007, 05:28 PM

ORIGINAL: KidCr3nshaw

So I've decided to take advantage of the weather and tear my bike apart to fix the turn signal and brake light problem.
you never actually state what the problem is. What is the problem????

The only wires on my signals are red, black and a black/white.
This is a stab (especially since I don't know what your problem is) but are you sure you have it wired properly??? It sounds like you have Lockhart-Phillips turn signals. Everyone assumes that red is positive (which it is, sort of) and black is negative or ground (which it isn't). LP even published it wrong on the back of their package at one time.
But LP signals are as follows:

LP <-> function <-> bike
red = flasher = blue (left), orange (right)
black = running light = blue/white (left), orange/white (right)
black/white = ground = green

I may have left and right wrong but you get the idea.

Quick Reply: Sigh...