CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Should I get this '95 F3?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 06:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I get this '95 F3?

Hello everyone. Im new to this forum but hopefully will become a constant member shortly. Im looking at getting my first bike and I have always prefered Honda CBR's over all. Well a old friend a ran in to is selling his F3 and I want to make sure im not getting jewed on price. I dont believe I am but I would like your opinions because im very new to bikes in general. First it is almost in mint condition other than a small crack on the wind screen and very light scratching on the right side which you cant see unless up close. Other than that the bike is mint. The bike has had a lot of new items put on from what he tells me and from what I saw. It has chrome rims and all the vesible engine parts have been chromed. It has a 18 inch chrome swing arm. He baught a new pipe that is chrome because other one was chrome plated and showed fading. As far as sex apeal i guess i should say, the bike is a definate head turner. Amazing look and I test drove it a couple days ago and it runs like a champ and has a great sound. It has 21000 miles showing on tac which he informs me is off because of extented chain. Saying it probably has about 12000 to 13000. Ok and finally he is asking 3500 hundred firm. This does include many extra parts and a helmet. Personally i feal its a good deal... Any advice on this will help. Thanks a lot and hope to be a bike rider on this forum soon.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts
Default RE: Should I get this '95 F3?

Personally I think $3500 is steep for a 1995 F3. You can find bikes newer for less money. I know he's a friend, but that's a lot of money. If he's put a longer swingarm on it, it's going to detract from the handling, especially in corners, where F3's excel. As for the mileage, changing the length of the swingarm won't effect the indicated mileage, only changing the ratio of the sprockets is going to do that. To get that much of a difference between the indicated mileage and the actual, the sprockets would have to been changed radically. I think your enthusiasm is great, but I think you could do better. Just my opinion. Good luck and hope to see you in the forum soon.

edited for spelling.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:07 AM

i'd pass, you can find a f4 for $3500 in good condition.
For another $500 you could find some thing fuel injected.
I would pay 2500-2800 depending on how well it wasmechanically maintained.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:11 AM

Yea, not to bash custom F3's but having an extended swingarm on it might make it look cool, but you wont have as much fun with it. 3500 sounds like a decent price if the thing really is good looking with all the custom stuff, but you have to ask yourself if you want a bike to look pretty in your garage or perform beautifully on the track (or road if you dont race).

Another thing to consider is how much you will be riding. If your like me and you ride every day its nice, and even some ****ty days, then you will probably want as little chrome or polished alumon your bike as possible. The only thing on my bike that ispolished is the slip-on, and I gave up on polishing it because it literally only looks good right after your done polishing. I'd prefer to have nothing to polish at all because for one polishing is a bitch, and two stuff thats painted, in general, has to get very dirty to look like ****. And even if painted stuff gets to dirty all you gotta do is use a lil water and soap. it takes me all of 5 minutes to wash my bike and it looks brand new.

Oh yea and +1 to the mileage thing. The length of the chain doesn't change anything that has to do with mileage. Only the gear ratio and rear tire height, which very well might be changed. Even if it did have like + or - a tooth front or back it would not change the mileage that dramatically. If it says 21k and the sprockets are slightly different then it may be off by like 1k, but definitly not by 9k. And I'm not just going by what I think it is, I'm a mechanical engineer and this is the kinda stuff I deal with every day.

Old 10-18-2007, 02:26 PM

Here check out this clean bike on Ebay. Keep looking buddy! They're out there for cheaper and newer!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...spagenameZWDVW

Old 10-18-2007, 03:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

way to expensive...

Old 10-18-2007, 05:01 PM

Well I must say im very pleased to have heard from you guys in this matter. I dont believe he personally knows that he was lying about the mileage because he isnt the type of person to obtain knowledge on it but believe what is told to him (probably from who he purchased it from) But that does upset me still that it was.... After reading these posts I have decided not to purchase this bike and I believe you guys saved me some money and happiness. I personally havent been to much in to extended swing arms but I thought it looked nice w/ the F3 but it will be a almost daily driven bike for me so I like the idea of a bike restricting me. I have a Tiburon that i cant drive right now because insurance is through the roof (Bad habbits, they dont die). Speeding is a problem of mine so thats what i mean.. But again i apreciate the advice and i still am almost positive i will be buying a honda CBR (cant get over that look!) unless something really good was to come along. Talk to you guys in the near future.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:20 PM

3500 sounds a little steep..i managed to get my minty 98 f3 for 2500 and all i had to do was give the carb jets a good cleaning..

Old 10-19-2007, 08:51 AM

I got the same bike as Redzintimidator. And I traded an 1989 trans am for my bike, and all it needed was a new chain and sprockets. I think my T/A was only worth around $2,000. Honestly I think I got the better end of the deal myself.

Old 10-19-2007, 02:53 PM

i got my 98 f3 with 25000 miles at $2000, although it needed a new rear tire, oil change, and chain and does have a salvaged title.

3500 is a little expensive. if its as clean as u say it may be worth it since its known f3s are damn reliable and there great for beginners who can handle the weight or more experienced riders too, very versatile. but then again, for 1000 more bux you can get a nice fuel injected bike off craigslist.com or recycler.com that you'll prolly wanna keep for longer.

i kno everyone hates these wishy washy answers so ill conclude it for you: No...id look around for a better deal which u can definitley find or get a little more money and go up to a newer bike