CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

running very hot need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 04:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default running very hot need help

I have a 97 CBR 600 F3 that is running very hot. the temp guage goes to red and coolant fells the reserv tank. I am running 20-50w honda oil in it. i have blue ice coolant in . took the tehrmostat out. the fan is wiired to stay on all the time the water pump is working . But if i ride it for 15-20 mins it over heats and i dont know why plz help me out here thanks...

Old 06-02-2007, 04:53 PM
Default RE: running very hot need help

Faulty thermostat maybe?

Could be that your radiator is dirty and has blocked passages, if you can maybe switch it out with another, see if it makes a difference. Try to put more water in, since that is the substance reponsible for the actual cooling of the engine.

If there's air in the system you might try bleeding it. Good luck!

Old 06-02-2007, 07:25 PM

First of all I am not a mechanic but will attempt to help you help yourself. You seem to be doing everything but lets try some things. First test your thermostat, I know you removedit but check it. What temp is it suppose to open, it should say it on the side, put it in some water and heat it up to that temp to see if it opens. If it does they put it back on your bike. Next, was you paying attention on when your fan was coming on and shutting off. It should come on at three quarters temp and shut off when the needle is at half way mark. If it is doing that then rewire back to normal. Yes the radiator fluid will rise when it heats up. Ensure that you have a specified mixture of water and fluid, whatever the manual says. Now if the thermostat works, fan works, and plenty of fluid then you need to get a temp. gun and see how hot it is getting. Water boils at 212oF so if it is getting that hot you are left to two things. One your radiator could be plugged up preventing flow of wateror the water pump is not pumping the water like it should. If the temp gun does not read hot when you point it at the radiator hose then you have a bad temp gauge. If your fan was cutting on then cutting off it make me think bad temp gauge becausea temp probecontrols the fan, it will not shut off if the bike stays hotbut check out what I said and let me know what you find.

Old 06-02-2007, 11:35 PM

Ill try that thanks

Old 06-03-2007, 12:53 AM
Banned

First, drain all the coolant.

Next remove the thermo and test it. Test it as described above, only you need to suspend it in a pan of water as opposed to just dropping it in. The temparature at which it opens will be stamped on it. Should be 180 degrees Fahrenheit (82 celsius).

While it's out, flush your radiator and make sure everything is running through it. Make sure your fan works, if you don't know if it's came on, test it for continuity. Then make sure the fan relay (little black relay next to the fan on the radiator mount).

If you are overheating, and you haven't noticed leaks, one of these tests will fail. Thermo is $30 and so is a fan relay. Fan from eBay is around the same. Gaskets are more!

Old 06-03-2007, 02:28 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

also why are you using 20w-50 oil? and deffinetly fix the wiring on your bike. you dont need the fan on all the time.

Old 06-03-2007, 05:02 AM

20-50 b/c i has 23,00 miles

Old 06-03-2007, 05:04 AM

20-50 b/c it has 23,000 why what do you think i shold try

Old 06-03-2007, 01:01 PM
Banned

Hmm... didn't even notice that.

I use 10-40 in the summer and 10-30 in the winter. I have oh let's see... about 34K miles on mine!

You don't need that 20-50 in there. Actually, it could hamper your performance and in all reality, could make your engine work harder than neccessary causing your bike to overheat.

And you will burn your fan up hotwiring it like that. Just make sure the relay is getting power and is working. If not, replace it.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:40 PM

thank you for that input ill do that

Quick Reply: running very hot need help