CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

running like ass after oil change

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 07:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default running like *** after oil change

So, i changed the oil on my f3 today and it runs like ***. I used Valvoline 4 stroke motorcycle oil 10w40. When the bike is on its kick stand it starts and runs good. When i lift it up about to ride, hold the clutch in and put it in gear it starts idling low, about to stall out. If i try to hit the gas to keep it running it will stall out. If i put it back on the kickstand and start it up it runs fine..

The oil level is fine too..

Any suggestions?

Old 01-09-2008, 08:13 AM
Default RE: running like *** after oil change

What oil was in there before? (brand, weight, and length of time in bike) I've never heard of oil causing an idle problem. Perhaps you hit a cable or knocked something off when you pulled the plastic off to get to the filter and plug?

I use 10w40 Repsol Syntetico in mine now. I have no idea what was in there before I got it, but mine runs great, even in low temps.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:13 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow... this is definately a tricky one. How long have you had the bike? I just ask this because it when checking the oil level, it is suppose to be in the vertical position. It can't be leaning to the side. If the bike was filled to the full mark while on the kick stand, you would have over filled the oil. Just trying to cover the basis,this might be one of those situations where you just bought the bike without an owners manual and you weren't aware that the bike needs to be vertical when checking the oil level. By the way, how many quarts did you use? You should have used just under 4 quarts when also changing out the filter.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:21 AM

I have not had the bike very long. Yes it was over filled a little bit, i put 4 quarts in, checking in the verticle position it was a little over filled. I drained maybe 1/4 a quart and it is perfect now.

I rode the bike a little bit around my work, sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesnt.

Im totally stumpted on this one. I do not know what type of oil was in it before, nor do i have a way of contacting the previous owner. The oil did not look to bad when i changed it.

Im scared to take it out on the road now in fear its going to **** up and stall out.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:31 AM

I think you just may have carb or plug problems and the oil change may just have come at the same time as your other problems started. Generally the new oil will cause the bike to run smoother, idle easier, and get better mileage.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:51 PM

Check the air filter next. It's located under the tank and yes you have to remove the tank to get to it. I would also put in a new fuel filter because who knows when it was last changed. It's locatedbefore the fuel pump. Were you able to get a voltage reading on the battery?

Old 01-09-2008, 05:04 PM

sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesnt.

Sounds to me like the engine's cooling off slightly and when you go to start it up, the oil has thickened, hence the rough idle and unresponsive throttle inputs.

When the bike is exhibiting your symptoms, has it been off for a while....say, 30 minutes or longer?

Old 01-10-2008, 04:06 AM

ORIGINAL: marc0011

Wow... this is definately a tricky one. How long have you had the bike? I just ask this because it when checking the oil level, it is suppose to be in the vertical position. It can't be leaning to the side. If the bike was filled to the full mark while on the kick stand, you would have over filled the oil. Just trying to cover the basis,this might be one of those situations where you just bought the bike without an owners manual and you weren't aware that the bike needs to be vertical when checking the oil level. By the way, how many quarts did you use? You should have used just under 4 quarts when also changing out the filter.

Also, when checking the oil, don't screw the dipstick back into the resevoir. Just place it back in the resevoir with the cap sitting evenly on the threads. Here's the quote from the Service Manual:

- Start the engine and let it idle for 2-3 minutes
- Stop the engine and wait 3 minutes
- Remove the dipstick and wipe the oil from the dipstick with a clean cloth
- With the motorcycle upright on level ground, insert the dipstick into the stick hole without screwing it in.
- Remove the dipstick and check the oil level.

Let me know if you need the service manual. I'll either send it to you or show you where you can download it.

Dave

Old 01-10-2008, 07:39 AM

Yeah, where could i find the manual at? Also, Im new to bikes, but ive already had this thing pretty much 100% apart. Im just not to good at diagnosing teh problems yet. The fuel filter looks pretty new, the K@N filter looks good. The bike is running rich, it has a jet kit (i dotn know the brand, "Stage" or anything like that). Im going to take the carbs off, and totally clean them. Then get the carbs tuned by someone, because well... I dont know how.

The bike is running better now. It breaks up a little bit in the upper RPM's, and has a slight miss in the lower RPM's, im guessing from the jet kit putting wayyy to much fuel in the motor.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:29 AM

Good to hear that you were able to make it running better. I recommend getting a shop manual, they tell everything the owners manual does and WAY more.
It sounds like you have an air leak some where. Make sure all your hoses are fastened securely and look for rubber garments that are cracked and worn. I was having really bad hesitation issues one time and I found that bands on the intake boots between the carbs and manifold were very loose. They are a real pain in the **** to reach. You'll need a REALLY long philips to get them. Tighten the top and bottom bands.

Quick Reply: running like ass after oil change