CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

rough idle and rpm problem?

Old 05-10-2010, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rough idle and rpm problem?

I took my bike apart about 2 weeks ago to do some general maintenance (drain coolant cuz it was all brown, change oil, air filter, clean chain, gunk near rear wheel, etc.).

So..I had everything put back together except the fairings atm, and when i go to start it up it idles pretty rough and occasionally there's a tick tick sound coming from top of engine/carb area when i go to rev it up. Also after reving it up it takes awhile for the rpm to decline. It was never like that before so i'm not sure if its normal or i messed up something.

I'll record a video of it idling and see if you guys can help me spot the problem. Also battery is dead so i have to jump start it everytime (replacing within the week)

And I didn't clean the carb, not sure when was the last time it was clean before i bought it. I was just gonna get a can of seafoam to clean it for the time being.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:32 PM

I think you either knocked off a hose or reversed something.
The slow rpm return could be a miss-routed throttle cable or lean condition.
I don't know what the tick noise is....?

Old 05-10-2010, 08:13 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H427_KoKxiQ

heres a video of the bike idling, at the end you'll hear me rev it up then your'll hear the tick ticking noise. The rpms hangs for a bit at 2k then drops to normal idle, you kinda see it in the vid. Never notice it doing that before so not sure if its normal.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:30 PM

if you changed your air filter to a different one than it had before it might not be getting as much air, or too much air, put in the old filter again see if it has the same problem.... and if you want us to check out your video you may want to make it so we can all see the video... idk if im the only one whos tried to watch it but it says its a private video and you need a friend request to watch it

Last edited by Michaud85; 05-10-2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:31 PM

I'm with Procrastinator. A lean condition will make rpm's hang up. Did you remove the airbox? If so, is it sealed good on carbs?

Old 05-10-2010, 10:27 PM

Video is viewable now.
The air filter is the old one that was on there original when i got it, i just clean it with soap and water. I did a little research and found that i needed to spray oil? on the filter? That's one thing i didn't do when i put the filter back on. Would that even make a difference?

I did remove the airbox to clean it, all the hoses that i took off were put back on right.
One thing that i notice whenever i took the airbox off the carbs the whole thing was loose so i tighten them down.(the carbs) When i say loose i mean you could literally pick the whole thing up without unscrewing anything.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:50 PM

Stop what you're doing and oil that air filter before doing anything. I bought mine with the airfilter dried out, and it was only a thousand over the valve check date, not only was the intake side out of spec cause the seats got tore up from grit, it was so far that some of them had less than a thousandth of lash. That being said, yes a non oiled one would probably flow freer, thus causing a lean condition and rpm "hang".

Old 05-11-2010, 10:10 PM

Check the tubes that connect to the bottom of your fuel tank, My vacuum hose was disconnected and was causing the idle to be rough and some strange acceleration issues.... simple mistake, simple fix... =)

Old 05-12-2010, 02:33 PM

Oiled the filter and found a hose under the airbox that i didn't plug back in
Everything seems to work like normal now, but i still get that tick tick noise but only when its cold. Once it warms up you don't hear it no more.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:54 PM

is it more noticeable on the right side of the engine (when sitting on the bike)? probably either the CCT or in need of a valve adjustment.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rough idle and rpm problem?