CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Riddle me this...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 06:53 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Riddle me this...

what's the worst problem you've had with your F3?

i've had a lot of issues with mine, but this trumps all of 'em. On the way home from class the other day, i got on the brakes as i came up on some traffic, and i had terrible head shake. after about 4-5 seconds of that, my brake lever in my fingers collapsed all the way to the throttle. i got off the road to see what had happened and realized that the bracket that holds the caliper in place had snapped cleanly off. Also, my inside brake pad was dangling off the back of the caliper. the part that holds the brake pad onto the caliper had scarred the rotor so bad, there's no way it can be resurfaced. what gives!?

looks like i'm going to be trading it in for a newer bike this weekend. i mean, i'm out a rotor, caliper bracket, and brake pads at least, not excluding the fact i may need a new caliper. there's just no way i'm going to invest that much money into OEM brakes. not to mention, the labor costs because the brakes are the only part of the bike i refuse work on myself. i dont want the risk of messing up.

Last edited by Conrice; 03-26-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

Well, it sounds to me like you're looking for a reason to buy a new bike .

Certainly having the calipers come off like that and do the type of damage you're describing is unusual to say the least. But that being said, working on brakes is some of the easiest work you can do on a bike. Parts are easy and fairly inexpensive to come by on ebay. I'd be buying used OEM parts, putting in new "O" rings in them and putting them back on.

But, if you've got your heart set on that 2009 CBR 600RR, can't say I blame you.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by idodirt
Well, it sounds to me like you're looking for a reason to buy a new bike .

Certainly having the calipers come off like that and do the type of damage you're describing is unusual to say the least. But that being said, working on brakes is some of the easiest work you can do on a bike. Parts are easy and fairly inexpensive to come by on ebay. I'd be buying used OEM parts, putting in new "O" rings in them and putting them back on.

But, if you've got your heart set on that 2009 CBR 600RR, can't say I blame you.
well, you are right. it is the perfect excuse to move up. however, im curious as to what you think, off the top of your head, it would cost for new rotor and bracket would cost? it'd definitely be a good idea for trade in vaule if not anything else.

edit-
also, i recently did a lot of work to get the bike running pristine again, and now this. i guess im just tired of having to work on it EVERY weekend instead of riding it.

Last edited by Conrice; 03-26-2009 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

How much for your ignition advance rotor?

Old 03-27-2009, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by f3BikeR
How much for your ignition advance rotor?
i don't think i'll be much help to you. the ignition rotors are really hard to get off. the vice grips i used completely destroyed the stock rotor, so i dont have the stock one to put back in. also, i'm sure that i'd damage the ignition advance rotor trying to get it out.

i got mine for $35 shipped on ebay though. i'd just check there.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:48 PM

I see you have the stage 1 jet kit, I want one for my F3 but I haven't been able to find one online or EBAY and certain bike sites only have Jet Kits for F4s. U know where I can get one at?

Old 03-28-2009, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Conrice
well, you are right. it is the perfect excuse to move up. however, im curious as to what you think, off the top of your head, it would cost for new rotor and bracket would cost? it'd definitely be a good idea for trade in vaule if not anything else.

edit-
also, i recently did a lot of work to get the bike running pristine again, and now this. i guess im just tired of having to work on it EVERY weekend instead of riding it.
Well, in order to answer a picture is worth a thousand words. Rotors can be had for $50 or less most of the time on ebay. The bracket $20. It sounds like something wasn't torqued correctly on the brake caliper. It loosened up, got into a strange position and when you applied the brake, the forces just snapped it off.

I'd rebuild the calipers with new seals. The seals are about $6 and you need 4 sets of them. Clean the brake caliper pistons to remove any built up brake dust. After reassembly, they will perform just like they came off the show room floor.

IMO naturally

Old 03-29-2009, 08:14 AM

The worst that I had was one of the spark plug holes stripping and the plug blowing out.

other notables:
front bracks radomly started to locked up
regulatar/rectifier issues

If you really want to get a new bike I say go for it, but I would say fix the brakes. They really arent that bad to deal with.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:15 PM

did they make Smokin joes in '95 as per your signature?

Old 03-29-2009, 04:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Touch wood, the only real problem I've had, has been the reg & as Murphy's law dictates & at the most inconvenient time. I would be fixing your brakes though, especially if your going to trade your old bike in for a new one. All bikes have potential problems (weaknesses) even the latest models. Buy hey a new bike? don't need to much encouragement there, I've gone down to my local dealer more than once, say, for some oil or whatever, & come home on a new bike.

Quick Reply: Riddle me this...