CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Redzintimidator's "Guinea Pig" Hong Kong Fairing Review!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 05:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Redzintimidator's "Guinea Pig" Hong Kong Fairing Review!

Buddah, if they dont melt i will be happy as a clam with my hong kong fairings. I left it running for a few mins after the fan kicked on and no meltage,softage, warpage, or anything yet. So we will see. It doesnt look bad for a bike i totaled in september.

i got a new helmet for christmas...matches well:

Old 02-18-2008, 10:59 PM

yeah if it comes out well I'm interested in the 7s kit for sure~

Old 02-18-2008, 11:24 PM

i was going to get the 7s kit..but with none of the decals. I was talking to the guy then he just stopped all communucations..hmm...
cant wait til all this dam snow melts!!!

Old 02-19-2008, 12:13 AM

I was thinking of buying the seven kit, what do you mean without decals. And what is the difference between airtech AND, the hong kong kitbesides the price. would they leave just the stars in the kit states, Redzint- where did you find just the all black kit like that ive been all over the internet and never seen just black and silver they look great!

Old 02-19-2008, 08:47 AM

I contacted one of the sellers to see if they would make me one with just paint, no decals. I dont know about a difference between the hongkong fairings and airtech. I would have to see the airtech. Im pretty sure both of them are NOT honda quality.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:13 PM

How did you mount the front fender? I got a Repsol kit that I'm putting on now. I have the fender on but I'm not sure how I'm going to do the front bolts. The fender is angled right where the holes would go.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:17 PM

take some pics so i know what u are talkin about...

Old 02-20-2008, 03:57 PM

as far as I know, Airtech is a reliable source for buying fairings, so there for you dont have to worry about the fact that you might get $h|t fairings. Its nice to see that the ones you get off ebay arent all crap and they are not too expensive. I agree with buddah especially if you can throw down the green for 2 sets of fairings off of ebay, just buy one set off of airtech and I'm sure it will fit better and look nicer. although I believe it comes unpainted(dont quote me on that!)

Old 02-20-2008, 04:30 PM

That's the part the sux is you have to paint it and I haven't seen too many custom paint jobs that even come close to me liking them. These hong kongers look pretty good. It'll be interesting to see how they hold up though. I don't expect they'd make it through a crash.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:13 AM

I actually purchase two sets for two different bikes, I never purchase the airtech, but they are unpainted. I was going for the airtech for my 88 zx750 total cost for complete bike $1125.00 (unpainted and no mounting holes). Custom paint job $1200.00 total cost = $2325.00 or $1125.00 + one color $450.00 = $1575.00

I would have loved to go to airtech (in the US and don't take two week to get), but the main two factors that killed it, is unpainted and I have to drill all mounting holes. I am a kind of crossed eyed and my fairing would be all crooked, LOL!! I don't mind drilling one, two or maybe three mounting holes, but all of them. Nah. As for painting, I tried that once and I will leave it to the professionals.

Redz,to put the vinyl on the tank all you need it spray glue, vinyl, heating glue and a hour or two. It is just like doing a car headliner, if you ever done it or window tinting.

I have laid vinylon one of my car hood, back in the days.

First take of the gas cap assembly off the tank, I believe alley wrench (if it the same as the zx750). Start the sides, front or rear of the tank, whichever your perfer, but keep to the pattern you started.

Spray a layer of glue, let it get tacky, laid the vinyl down (leaving about a inch over lap on each side), let that one section dry for 30 mins or so. Now, spray glue on the overlap and laid that underneather the tank (to give it that wrapped look), now you can start on the rest of the tank, spray, lay, heat, stretch.

Once the tank is completely wrapped, do a sun ray cut in the vinyl over the gas cap hole, leaving about 1/3 of a inch before getting to the tank were the gas cap hole is.This is tricky, not to get any glue in the tank. So, what you do is spray the glue onto a paint stirring stick (home depot) and smear it onto the back of the vinyl and lay it down, heat, stretch for each ray cut. If you have any overage of vinyl just cut it. Make sure none falls into the tank. Press down on the vinyl to show wear the screw holes are, put and little insertion into the vinyl and screw the gas cap assembly onto the tank.

Then you are finished. If you were to paint the tank, at this point you probably still be sanding.

You will get a better outcome with the tank off the bike.

Quick Reply: Redzintimidator's "Guinea Pig" Hong Kong Fairing Review!