CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Rectifier/carb questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 11:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rectifier/carb questions

Yes i know how to use the search function but this thread is mainly a carb question with a rectifier question thrown into the mix.

So first

The bike been acting up ever since a couple night ago. The plug on the right side of the engine came loose (plug for the timing adjuster and chain?) and started spilling oil, thank god when i came home it was still being held in by the fairing. So i filled the oil and tightened it back on.

Drove it the next morning to work and it still was acting funny, IE: after 4th gear it would not accelerate at all like it was starving for fuel or something but 1st-4th gears had some pull.

So im driving home from work today and i get off the freeway and the bike dies on me. It would not kick over like the battery was drained (it was because when i got home i connected another battery to it and it started again. So since it was riding crappy i thought id cleaned the carbs AGAIN.

Now here is my first question. When i pulled out the diaphragms, in ALL of them, there was two tiny pieces of tape compressing about 3-4 coils of the springs inside. Why would anyone do such a thing? Could the spring be to strong for the diaphragms? So in my obliviousness i took them all off cleaned the carbs in which two jets were dirty again and put her back together.

It was like night and day when i took her out for a short ride. Acceleration was there responsive and for some reason shifted quite smoothly. Then i was coming to a stop and it shut off. Walked it back home and "jumped" it again. once i took the supplemental battery off the lights dimmed and it wanted to die again unless i held the throttle up. I removed the rectifier while it was running and no change happened only until i removed the other battery connected to it.

So now comes to my second question. The posts i've read had people saying their recifier wires were burnt and or charred, mine are fine, is this a sigin of a bad rectifier or alternator? I will be get a multimeter tomorrow to make sure its still good.

Sorry my posts are so long, i like to be as detailed as possible so people know exactly what i mean.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:09 AM
Default RE: Rectifier/carb questions

Dunno how to answer you being new to the mechanics and still learning, but I have been wondering, How do you get your bike home when it dies like 20 miles out?

Old 08-29-2008, 12:11 AM
Registered Users

Umm...good job on fixing the carbs? lol as far as the r/r goes mine alway's fried the wires too, it sounds like your having an r/r issue. Whenever mine fried (over about 65k miles) I had to jump it and ride like 30 miles home. watch your rpm tack, if it's jumping around and acting real jittery then its probably your r/r. If it is your r/r then do the gsxr r/r conversion i got the r/r off of a 03 gsxr 1k worked like a dream[8D]

Old 08-29-2008, 12:26 AM

ORIGINAL: soccer13pro2007

Dunno how to answer you being new to the mechanics and still learning, but I have been wondering, How do you get your bike home when it dies like 20 miles out?
That is a very good question, your probably gonna have to get it towed.

As for my R/R i believe its the stock one, and being my mileage is around 32,XXX im sure it might be bad. Only thing is the gauges work fine, just dim lights and the battery isnt charging up anymore.

Now since you said conversion (for the GSXR R/R) i assume there is cutting of wires correct?

EDIT:

I just searched the conversion. Does it matter what GSXR R/R i get? Meaning 600-750-1000 R/R? Just as long as it has the one connector correct? Then just cut , splice and solder? I read the write up for the f2 but i assume its the same, just our alternator wires are yellow.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:39 PM

Battery is completely dead, when i connect a battery to it it starts and runs fine, when i pull the cables the lights dim and the bike sputters and dies. No power at all after the bike shuts off, like the battery is disconnected. I ordered a GSX-R rectifier and should get it soon. Hopefully that's my problem and i can be out riding again.