CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 600F3 (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f3-17/)
-   -   Rear suspension options? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f3-17/rear-suspension-options-156068/)

Trappist 05-24-2017 01:54 PM

Rear suspension options?

Hi.

Just recently acquired a 97 F3. My intention is to make this my track bike. It runs well and is overall in good shape, but the suspension was shot.

I already rebuilt the forks with new bushings, seals, and Racetech springs. It's pretty solid now. The rear however is completely blown.

Instead of rebuilding or replacing with OEM, I was think I should upgrade. Just curious if there is any specific recommendation.

I saw some people use the F4i shock but that it creates other issues. I'd prefer something like a Racetech or Ohlins rear, but hope that there's a cheaper alternative.

coalminer frank 05-24-2017 05:40 PM

If you find an Ohlins, I'm sure it would be expensive and then of course having it send out for a rebuild/set-up for your weight would add to the cost. Good Luck. Another option would be a Fox shock, those were very popular for the CBR F2's & F3's back in the day along with GSXR's. They are also a little pricey but not as much as an Ohlins. You can find Fox shock on ebay sometimes for reasonable prices. You would still have to have it rebuilt and set up for you weight. I paid top dollar for my Fox when I got it and then another $150 for the rebuild. If I wouldve waited I couldve save some money but you know how it is when you see something you want & you have the money. As a matter of fact I have a extra Fox shock laying around that I'd be will to part with if you are interested. It will need a rebuild etc etc. PM me.

coalminer frank 05-25-2017 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Trappist (Post 1304715)

Instead of rebuilding or replacing with OEM, I was think I should upgrade. Just curious if there is any specific recommendation.

I saw some people use the F4i shock but that it creates other issues. I'd prefer something like a Racetech or Ohlins rear, but hope that there's a cheaper alternative.

The thing about using a F4i shock is it raise the rear of the bike almost 2 inches. Most racers with Fox or Ohlins shock raise the rear a little anyhow, but no where near 2 inches. If you raise the rear to much you'll sacrifice rear traction anytime you're knee dragging and try to accelerate. Now you could "fix" that by raising the front the same amount, basicly leveling the bike back to the same levelness as stock. Once you do that the bike should be fine. And then, now you could start lowering the front to get that "quick turn in" that racers love so much. But dont lower the front more than a 5 to 10 mm or you'll have the rear traction problem I describe earlier. Now with that all said and done, you got your F4i shock on your bike your having fun at the track. But with all that work you replaced an OEM shock with an OEM shock.