CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

ran out of gas~

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 04:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ran out of gas~

hey guys i ran out of gas today around 170kms on my meter./...thats around 106miles....

i opened the fuel tank and i can still see gas in my tank....

now im wondering is the reserve fuel supply part of the main fuel tank?

i dont ride too aggressive so im assuming my mpg is on the low side...

Old 05-17-2007, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts
Default RE: ran out of gas~

On my wifes 97 F3 she usually gets anywhere between 150 to 160 miles before having to switch to reserve. That's with occasional bursts into the 3 digit speeds. The main and reserve tanks are one in the same. The Petcock valve that turns between On, Off, and Reserve only change how much fuel is allowed to come out of the tank. Once you turn the valve to reserve, the remaining fuel is allowed to come out.

Old 05-17-2007, 06:35 PM

There are two tubes hooked to your petcock in the tank........the "on" is taller......there by leaving gas lower so you can switch to reserve which is a lower tube in the tank..........it's basically a "buffer' so you dont have to push the bike.........

Check the fuel line........and possibly the filter.......OR.....is it vacume operated or a fuel pump? Check the vacume lines to the petcock or the diaphram inside the petcock........if it's torn it wont open the valve to let gas out........

Let us know what you find.

Old 05-17-2007, 07:07 PM

well i have already checked my fuel pump and it seems to pump out gas fine when i turn the ignition switch on with the fuel line out to a bucket...
and since the fuel filter is before the fuel pump i assumed the fuel filter is still not clogged up...
(although the plastic casing on the filter is discolored..)

the funny thing is when i go to a gas station after turning to reserve... to fill up completly requires only around 11L (2.9 gallons).... so how do i explain the remainder 0.6 gallons??

Old 05-17-2007, 07:47 PM

Not sure what the inside of a CBR tank or the petcock looks like, but I know that if you run low you could be running with all the crap in your tank blocking things up temporarily. When you fill up this stuff is mixed around a bit. Can you check inside your tank for junk?