CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Question about tank removal

Old 03-22-2018, 04:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about tank removal

Hi Forum!

Thanks for helping me with my threads over the last couple of weeks. I've learned quite a lot from you guys and soon I'll be done with all the maintenance from the manual. Thanks!

Today I repalced my air filter. I found out there was a very dirty K&N filter installed. I didn't know this and put in a stock paper filter that I had ordered. Hopefully it won't run too rich now I've taken out the K&N. While doing this I ran into two 'problems'.

Tank installation
While re-installing the fuel tank I found it very hard to re-connect the fuel line. There's so little room because when I lift the tank for more then 3cm the fuel line is too short to connect. Finally I was able to connect it though. Do you have any tricks while doing this?

Vent / Overflow
Question 2. My tank has 3 lines/hoses connected to it. One line at the fuel switch for the fuel obviously. And 2 at the back of the tank, a big one and a small one. I think this is for venting and overflow right, not sure which is which. I accidently pulled the small line out from the frame-mount-thingy and found out that the opposite end of the line ( the side that does not connect to the tank ) was loose or either came loose. I'ts a really small line and I've searched for ages to see where it should connect to. I was not able to find a connection point and figured it did not connect to anything at all. Can any of you confirm i'm correct or did I mess it up.

Thanks again, sorry for the stupid question.

Old 03-22-2018, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

Hey there. Those aren't stupid questions. It just shows that you care enough to do something right.

For your 1st question, you might find it helpful to release the rubber bracket/holder thing for the fuel pump while you are trying to attach the fuel line to the tank. This will give you some wiggle room. You can reconnect it after the tank is lowered. Or, the PO may have cut the fuel line to clean up a crack or something so it may need replacing.

Your 2nd question, the other end of that hose doesn't attach to anything other than the tank. Just secure it in the frame mount and snake the other end down into free space, just don't kink it. You will be GTG.

Old 03-22-2018, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by hamlin6
Hey there. Those aren't stupid questions. It just shows that you care enough to do something right.

For your 1st question, you might find it helpful to release the rubber bracket/holder thing for the fuel pump while you are trying to attach the fuel line to the tank. This will give you some wiggle room. You can reconnect it after the tank is lowered. Or, the PO may have cut the fuel line to clean up a crack or something so it may need replacing.

Your 2nd question, the other end of that hose doesn't attach to anything other than the tank. Just secure it in the frame mount and snake the other end down into free space, just don't kink it. You will be GTG.
Thanks for your quick response Hamlin. Awesome tip on the fuel line! Haven't thought about that, thanks a bunch .

Old 03-23-2018, 08:57 AM

I opted for putting a longer pipe in as always struggled to get the pipe off with one hand while trying to prop the tank up with the other.

2nd question what Hamlin6 said. :-)

Old 03-24-2018, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by hamlin6
You might find it helpful to release the rubber bracket/holder thing for the fuel pump while you are trying to attach the fuel line to the tank. This will give you some wiggle room.
Tnx Hamlin, you just saved my day! Was gonna go for a ride today but the bike ran like crap. I figured this was because i replaced the PO's K&N filter for an OEM. So I had to place the K&N back. This time it only took me 20 mins . Now the power output is smooth in all RPM's.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

Awesome. Glad to help. Hope you enjoyed the ride.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

FWIW, Around here the OEM filter is generally considered to be superior to the K&N. But like you said earlier you will need to tweak you jets and your F/A mixture.